New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Will Bootcamp Boost My Gaming Experience?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LoveBug1989

LoveBug1989 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have a 2007 2GHz 1GB Macbook with a new 80GB hard drive. It's currently running Snow Leopard, and I also just ordered a 4GB RAM upgrade (which will technically give me 3GB).

I play World of Warcraft on it quite often, every day, and lately it's been severely laggy. I know this is also in part to Blizzard implementing its latest huge patch, but there are some new graphic settings that require 2GB of RAM or more. I know I should ideally be running on more than one GB. The computer itself has also been a bit slow as of late, especially when I open up Safari while WoW is running. It almost freezes the computer.

I am not yet sure if my new RAM upgrade with help with the lagginess, but my other question was about the integrated graphics card. I read online, WoWWiki I believe, that "running Windows on Bootcamp is a good idea for Mac users with an integrated graphics card." They didn't explain why it was a good idea.

I cannot afford to purchase a Macbook Pro (which is what I would ideally want to play WoW), or any other laptop for that matter. I can however, afford to put Windows on my computer through Bootcamp.

Can anyone tell me if this would be a good idea if I was going to play WoW on this machine? I'm really not knowledgeable in this area. My main goal is to make WoW run smoother, as well as my computer. I don't necessarily need to play at the highest settings on the game.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

How are you playing WOW now? Is it a Windows disc and you're running Parallels or some other v.m.?

That aside, install your new RAM, try playing WOW and see if you're happy with the performance. If you're still not happy with how it performs and if it IS a Windows game, then YES Bootcamp will be a better option for you. Although, I still cannot guarantee an older machine can keep up with a graphics-intensive game even using 3GB RAM with a 2.0GHz processor.

Like I said, try the new RAM first and go from there.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
LoveBug1989

LoveBug1989 is on a distinguished road

Thanks! That's my plan. Right now I'm just running WoW on Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6 I believe? )
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Ok, so it's a Mac software disc you're using? Or is this some online gaming site? Just curious because it isn't going to improve with Bootcamp if it is an online gaming site. And you can't run it on Windows if it's a Mac software disc.

If you're using a Virtual Machine, you will (most-likely) notice an improvement if you use Bootcamp instead.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
~Darkseeker~

~Darkseeker~ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerPC G4 533Mhz, 2010 MBP 13" Intel core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 350M GPU, 250GB HDD.

WoW runs on both.

its a PC/Mac disk

the lag is caused by the new graphics engine Blizzard switched to in patch 4.0.1.

i quit because of it, so did several friends. game sucks now anyway.

Apple: Secretly a Banana.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No MagicMouse in Boot Selection? | Windows partitioning »