New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

No MagicMouse in Boot Selection?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ovbg

ovbg is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have successfully installed Bootcamp and Windows7 on my iMac 27 Late 2010. However, there is one odd issue. When I boot the iMac and hold the option key to get to the OS selection state, the Magicmouse does not work. I have to use the keyboard to select either Windows7 or OSX. If OSX boots, the Magicmouse works fine. If Windows7 boots, I still don't have access to the Magicmouse for a lengthly time, when all of a sudden it sometimes starts working.

A normal USB mouse works fine both in the Boot selection and Windows7.

I can't find anything in a search about this particular problem, so I was wondering if anyone else has seen this and has a solution?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That's because the Magic Mouse is BT and the BT drivers are not loaded until Windows boots past the system start. The same thing occurs when you press the "Option" key during the boot selection time. You just have to get used to using the keyboard until the system is up and running.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The interesting thing about this is on my iMac G5 iSight with 10.5.8, I can use both my Magic Mouse and Logitech MX-900. Both Bluetooth. Sometimes it takes a few seconds but they do work. Just did it the other day when booting from my external FW drive so I could test something in 10.4 Tiger.

I will try it on an Intel Mac and post back.

With Windows though the MM is not going to work until Windows loads the BT driver.

EDIT: On my Intel Mac Mini C2d with 10.6.4. Held Option at startup. MM worked. Turned off MM and back on, in 5 seconds or so MM worked at the boot menu.
QUOTE Thanks
ovbg

ovbg is on a distinguished road

Interestin, thanks vey much for the replies. I will check this out again as soon as possible. Maybe I have to see if I can speed up the BT drivers in windows, as 5-10minutes is a tad long.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows causes internet connectivity issues | Will Bootcamp Boost My Gaming Experience? »