New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Dedicated RAM with VM Fusion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RedlineGo

RedlineGo is on a distinguished road

When I dedicate 3GB's of RAM to VM Fusion, is that ONLY dedicated to VM when it is operating? In other words, if I am not using it, will those 3GB's of RAM be utilized by my Mac OS?

Also, I just installed and configured VM Fusion for Windows 7 but it says it needs drivers. I tried installing the Mac OS CD but nothing happened. Any suggestions?

Thank you everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
RedlineGo

Okay, I ran set up again and no more drivers are necessary. Now........ Everything seems to be running but I am getting a pretty slow response from both sides now. Is this to be expected?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I don't believe the memory is going to be dedicated..

What Mac do you have and how much memory? I've got 4GB of memory and usually give my VM's 1GB and that seems to be OK..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
RedlineGo

Well, actually, I made a mistake that I am happy I caught on my side. I have OS X 10.5 which according to Mac is not going to work with Windows 7.

So on to plan B:

I am going to bootcamp XP onto it and then use Fusion to access it. I will also split the GB's down the middle at 2 a piece. I will report back as soon as I have results. Thanks!

And I am impressed! Maybe it was Windows 7 with 10.5 but my Macbook was SUUUUPER sluggish. 1GB dedicated to Windows 7 sounds like a little.

Like I said, I will report back.
QUOTE Thanks
RedlineGo

I also intend to run Visual Studio on it so I think I am happier using XP since it is less of a resource hog.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you intend to run Visual Studio with XP via a VM from Fusion, I would definitely assign the VM 2 GB. Giving it only 1 GB would probably result in slower performance and paging.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If you intend to run Visual Studio with XP via a VM from Fusion, I would definitely assign the VM 2 GB. Giving it only 1 GB would probably result in slower performance and paging.
Absolutely. VS requires quite a bit of memory. VS requires 1GB of memory (if you go with the 32-bit version) - this if you're using 2010 Pro. Note that the site says to, "add 512 MB if running in a virtual machine." So, you really need at least 1.5GB (again, if you're using 2010 Pro). What version of VS are you planning on using?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RedlineGo

Since opting for XP over 7, I have seen a huge increase in performance. I decided to go with 2 and 2.

I still haven't fooled around with VS yet but I will keep this thread posted with my findings.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows XP with new Macbook Air | Ubuntu - Atheroes and Airport »