New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Cloning a drive with a Bootcamp partition

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

Ok. I'm so totally lost on this issue I'm not even sure I put the topic in the right section. What I'm trying to do is create a clone/exact copy of my current HD so I can then use that copy to install onto a new HD. Sounds easy but here's the trick. I running bootcamp with Windows 7 and files on that partition i dont want to lose. From what I understand, time machine only copies OSX and doesnt even touch my windows partition. I would like to just completely copy the entire drive and then reload that info onto a new drive. I found this website, EASEUS Disk Copy: Free Disk Copy, Disk Clone, Partition Copy Software. Sector by Sector for hard drive backup freeware. , that's cross platform but I don't know anything about mac Bios or any of that and I'm not sure it would work. I guess I could always just save all of the windows files and move them back after reinstalling windows but that would take a long time. I also thought about just trying to create a recovery disk for the windows partition. Will bootcamp work with a recovery disk? If so that might be the easiest option if the easeus program linked above doesn't work. And then I would need to know whats the best way to copy the Windows partition to run as a recovery disk. Any help on this would be appreciated. If there's a link for this type of problem too that would be cool, I just couldn't find it.
QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Anyone have any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I think what you're looking for is WinClone. This will basically encapsulate your Boot Camp partition into a single file. Then use something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to clone the OS X partition to the new disk. Once you've done that, use Boot Camp Assistant to recreate the Boot Camp partition, and then use WinClone to restore the image to that new partition.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Yep, that's what I was looking for. I also did some more searching and I think this can be done also by just using the disk utility.. see How to Clone a Bootcamp Partition | eHow.com I appreciate the help
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Perhaps you may be able to set up an external HDD and partition it in two partitions, format one for Windows and one Mac OS Extended Journalled, back up Windows partition with Winclone and Mac OS with SuperDuper.
QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Thats a good idea. I'm going to try that when I get my external so I can back up both time machine and the windows partition to the same drive to see if that works.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Just remember the partitions will need to be formatted for their respective operating system.
QUOTE Thanks
sparas

sparas is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21",iPods,iPhone

I have a similar issue except I had to make an image because my hard drive started to die. I managed to get an image of windows 7 from my bootcamp partition using winclone but now I cannot restore it on to the new HDD even though I have partitioned the HDD using bootcamp and formatted it to ntfs.

I have attached copy of the winclone log

Tue Nov 2 22:19:51 CST 2010: Partition is : /dev/disk0s3
Tue Nov 2 22:19:51 CST 2010
Tue Nov 2 22:19:51 CST 2010: Restoring:
Tue Nov 2 22:19:51 CST 2010: '/Applications/Winclone.app/Contents/Resources/winclone.perl' -restore -use_asr -copy_bcd '/Applications/Winclone.app/Contents/Resources/BCD' -disk_device /dev/disk0 -ntfs_partition /dev/disk0s3 -v -update_bootini -q -image_dir='/Volumes/Winclone image/win7image.winclone' -gptrefresh_path='/Applications/Winclone.app/Contents/Resources' -ntfstools_dir=/Library/NTFSProgs >> ~/Library/Logs/Winclone.log 2>&1 &
restoring.....
getting fdisk info.....
validating partition type.....
checking image size.....
image size file exists, opening.....
reading image file.../Volumes/Winclone image/win7image.winclone/size..
read image file.../Volumes/Winclone image/win7image.winclone/size..
done calculating..
done checking size..
Unmounting /dev/disk0s3
/usr/sbin/diskutil unmount "/dev/disk0s3"return value of unmount is 0

==============mounting sparse image==============
/usr/bin/hdiutil attach -nomount "/Volumes/Winclone image/win7image.winclone/Windows.sparsebundle"
diskimages-helper(671,0x100781000) malloc: *** error for object 0x100115020: pointer being freed was not allocated
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
hdiutil: attach failed - No child processes

disk device is
=====restoring image from disk image=============

"/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsclone" --rescue -f -f -O "/dev/disk0s3" 1>&2
ntfsclone v2.0.0 (libntfs 10:0:0)
ERROR: You must specify a device file.

Usage: ntfsclone [OPTIONS] SOURCE
Efficiently clone NTFS to a sparse file, image, device or standard output.

-o, --output FILE Clone NTFS to the non-existent FILE
-O, --overwrite FILE Clone NTFS to FILE, overwriting if exists
-s, --save-image Save to the special image format
-r, --restore-image Restore from the special image format
--rescue Continue after disk read errors
-m, --metadata Clone *only* metadata (for NTFS experts)
--ignore-fs-check Ignore the filesystem check result
-f, --force Force to progress (DANGEROUS)
-h, --help Display this help

If FILE is '-' then send the image to the standard output. If SOURCE is '-'
and --restore-image is used then read the image from the standard input.

Developers' email address: linux-ntfs-dev@lists.sf.net
Linux NTFS homepage: http://www.linux-ntfs.org
return value of "/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsclone" --rescue -f -f -O "/dev/disk0s3" 1>&2 is 256

"/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsclone" --rescue -f -f -O "/dev/disk0s3" 1>&2 did not complete successfully
cleaning up: Mounting Disk
Volume (null) on /dev/disk0s3 mounted
Tue Nov 2 22:19:55 CST 2010

Does anyone have any ideas why it wont restore and how to correct this??
QUOTE Thanks
carlfino

carlfino is on a distinguished road

I have the exact same problem that sparas experienced. I did a backup of my windows partition on an old hard drive with winclone, then I got the exact same error that sparas did when I tried to "restore" the backed up file onto the new drive's partition.

Sparas - Were you able to solve the problem somehow? And if so, can you tell me what you did?

Thanks,
carlfino...
QUOTE Thanks
PixelHermit

PixelHermit is on a distinguished road

What partition table do you use when formatting? GUID, Apple Partition Map, or MBR?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelHermit View Post
What partition table do you use when formatting? GUID, Apple Partition Map, or MBR?
For Intel Macs, you'll want to use GUID.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I have the exact same problem that sparas experienced. I did a backup of my windows partition on an old hard drive with winclone, then I got the exact same error that sparas did when I tried to "restore" the backed up file onto the new drive's partition.
I can't understand why folks are still trying to use WinClone to make an image of their Boot Camp partition. WinClone is no longer being developed and can be unstable resulting in the problem you and others have experienced.

It's even harder to understand when trying to make an image of Win 7 since Win 7 includes a very easy to use imaging and cloning utility which works well. Just select backup from the start menu and follow directions.

The only thing different is that you must clone the image to a NTFS formatted drive. To restore the image, use your Win 7 DVD to boot the machine and follow directions for restore.

Read the Microsoft Instructions from this LINK.
QUOTE Thanks
PixelHermit

PixelHermit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I can't understand why folks are still trying to use WinClone to make an image of their Boot Camp partition. WinClone is no longer being developed and can be unstable resulting in the problem you and others have experienced.

It's even harder to understand when trying to make an image of Win 7 since Win 7 includes a very easy to use imaging and cloning utility which works well. Just select backup from the start menu and follow directions.
I agree, but would like to add that I've experienced one (1) rather big mishap using the built-in Win 7 backup solution on a Mac. The setup was an iMac 24" 2.93GHz running Mac OS X 10.5.7 and Boot Camp. The 100GB 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium setup was backed up using the built-in Windows imaging utility to an external USB-connected 1TB Seagate disk, formatted using Windows 7 to NTFS on an MBR table.

After some time I needed to "revive" my Win 7 installation: I had installed and uninstalled a lot of software I use for testing of my software projects, and Windows become more and more sluggish. After booting from the Windows installation DVD I chose the "Repair your computer" option, and used the USB backup as source. After that the computer booted into (the internal) Win 7 without any problem, and all seemed fine. Unfortunately the Windows repair software also corrupted my Mac's HFS Plus partition in the process, and as it turned out I was happy that I had a backup of my Mac OS X partition as well, and not only the Windows one...

This might have been a one-time lapse: since then I've used the Win 7 imaging/cloning utility a couple of times, and on different Mac hardware setups, and it's always been working as expected. However, even one failure is one too many, if the user haven't got a fairly recent backup.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I can't explain why your OS X boot sector became corrupt when you restored as that has not been my experience. However, you might want to try a PRAM - NVRAM reset if that should ever happen again.

But of course the best protection is to backup everything as you did.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I had just been used to Winclone and just kept using it. I've used it twice in the last couple of months without issue restoring my Win7 to new drives.

Guess I should try the Win7 native backup utility.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« performance of running win 7 vm on imac | Windows installer not starting (iMac 24" 2006 white, Lion Bootcamp 4.0, Windows 7 64b »