New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Opening patch.exe with Crossover

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

spurs78

spurs78 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

New here, hope you can help!

I need to open a patch.exe file and I've tried doing this with Crossover. I've managed to assign it a 'bottle' (a file that holds the patch) and it says 'ready'. However, there is nothing to say 'open file' or similar.

Please help!

Spurs78
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Did you try double clicking the patch.exe file from within the bottle?
QUOTE Thanks
spurs78

spurs78 is on a distinguished road

hi, thanks for your response.

Yes, tried double clicking, nothing. Also tried running the program through it's Run Command option (as suggested by Codeweaver's forum) and still nothing. Not sure what I need to do here!

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The patch executable may be looking for an input or a parameter and refuse to run. But, I guess if you tried it from a run command and it still won't work it may be that it's not compatible with Crossover. I've got Crossover Pro and found some things that just won't work.

If you have access to a Win machine, I suggest trying to open it from within a command prompt. If it won't work there, then you'll know you have a bad executable file.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm not sure what this patch is but if you're trying to patch a program that you've also installed through CO, you may be asking for trouble. What is the app you are trying to run? Have you checked it against CO's database of supported apps?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jparshall

jparshall is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you've taken the appropriate steps to run whatever patch .exe you're trying to run. There may be tips and tricks under the specific application that you're trying to run in our Compatibility database (c4.codeweavers.com). If you've purchased a copy of CrossOver, of course, you're also more than welcome to get ahold of our support folks. If it's an unsupported application, there may not be much that they'll be able to tell you--we don't have the financial wherewithal (or the infinite number of test monkeys required) to test and run every application that's out there, of course. But one of our ninjas may have one or two additional clues for you--you never know.

Best Wishes,

-jon parshall-
COO
CodeWeavers delivers Compatibility for Mac and Linux. Your Windows Mac and Linux CrossOver solution - CodeWeavers
("Your Mac/Windows Solution")
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« partition resize | Problems setting up internet sharing between MB and windows desktop »