New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Visual Studio - Emulation or Op system required?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TranquilEclipse

TranquilEclipse is on a distinguished road

I've heard a rumour that I might be able to run Visual Studio via an emulation for windows instead of having to actually install windows. Is this possible?

Also, I heard to install windows I'd have to format my entire drive... that means losing OSX and everything I have saved. This seems kind of fishy to me honestly but I'm new to the Intel idea of compatibility as I just purchased my MBP in August. I'm really not Mac savvy to begin with (I just love the product).

So, I guess it boils down to:

Do I need windows to run Visual Studio?

If so, how do I go about installing it?

Is windows 7 compatible?

Can I emulate the environment to run Visual Studio?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You do need Windows to run VS and the system requirements are fairly high depending both on what version you're running and what you're developing. What version are you using?

As for virtualizing it (with something like Parallels, Fusion or VirtualBox), it may be possible depending on your answer to the previous question.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TranquilEclipse

TranquilEclipse is on a distinguished road

I'm not really sure. I don't have VS yet, I need to get ahold of it. Likely 2010. I've got the base model MBP with the backlit keyboard. I'm pretty newby when it comes to mac honestly.

I should have enough power to run it tho. Can I use windows 7? But, if it's possible to get around needing windows I'd be happy cause it seems like a pain in the rump to be honest.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Win 7 Bootcamp Partition size. | Magic Mouse hangs »