New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Linux on iMac G3?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Okay, so here's the deal. As most of the regulars know around here by now I bought an iMac G3 Blueberry slot load. And it came with OS 9.2 installed on it. Now I'm trying to sell this computer but so far no luck. The computer's OS just really seems too old to do Modern anything! So I searched google.. and I found that Linux is download-able for free? Also there's a PowerPC Mac version? I'm kinda clueless here. But I would like to install Linux, and keep Mac OS on there too... Can this be done? I know of people having Windows and OS X on their Macs... But I've never seen Linux and OS 9 on am iMac G3 Before. Help?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have an old Grape Tray Load 333Mhz G3 iMac. I ran a linux distro on it off a CD just to mess with it. Worked great. It's been so long now I can't remember the name and version of the distro but I swear it was an old Power PC version of Ubuntu.

I will see what I can find and get back to you. This was a Live CD. That way you ran it off the CD and if you liked it, you installed. Everything worked on the iMac also. I did an Mac Forums IRC session with it in fact!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Were's Vansmith...Mr. Linux???

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I have an old Grape Tray Load 333Mhz G3 iMac. I ran a linux distro on it off a CD just to mess with it. Worked great. It's been so long now I can't remember the name and version of the distro but I swear it was an old Power PC version of Ubuntu.

I will see what I can find and get back to you. This was a Live CD. That way you ran it off the CD and if you liked it, you installed. Everything worked on the iMac also. I did an Mac Forums IRC session with it in fact!
Well it's good to know that's it's possible at least! Now I just have to find a download-able version. And figure out how to get it installed!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDude121 View Post
Okay, so here's the deal. As most of the regulars know around here by now I bought an iMac G3 Blueberry slot load. And it came with OS 9.2 installed on it. Now I'm trying to sell this computer but so far no luck.
That's because you're trying to sell an iMac G3 that's close to 10 years old. It's not the OS version that's on it...it's the age..and the fact that it's only worth $10-$20 bucks (to most knowledgeable people). I'm not knocking the computer or it's age, or the OS on it...it's just an old computer...and thus hard to sell.

As far as the Linux question. Are you going to keep this computer if you put Linux on it...or are you still selling it?

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
That's because you're trying to sell an iMac G3 that's close to 10 years old. It's not the OS version that's on it...it's the age..and the fact that it's only worth $10-$20 bucks (to most knowledgeable people). I'm not knocking the computer or it's age, or the OS on it...it's just an old computer...and thus hard to sell.

As far as the Linux question. Are you going to keep this computer if you put Linux on it...or are you still selling it?

- Nick
Depends. I might keep it, but probably not. It depends on how well linux runs, or if I like Linux. (Never, ever used it before) I'm just looking to get a semi modern OS on there. Then it can be used for light web browsing and stuff. Plus OS 9 + Linux seems pretty Cool. OS 9 can be used for nostalgia applications, and games, while Linux would run all of the modern applications.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Depends. I might keep it, but probably not. It depends on how well linux runs, or if I like Linux. (Never, ever used it before) I'm just looking to get a semi modern OS on there. Then it can be used for light web browsing and stuff. Plus OS 9 + Linux seems pretty Cool. OS 9 can be used for nostalgia applications, and games, while Linux would run all of the modern applications.
You need to get yourself some OS X install disks. 10.3 probably the best choice...but 10.4 is doable as well (I run 10.4 on my G3 iMacs). Sure 10.4 is expensive...that's why 10.3 is a better choice (cost & performance).

Once you have the hardware...having the proper software is what really makes or breaks the computing experience. In fact sometimes having the proper software is more important. Kind of like having an automobile...but no gasoline!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

Quote:
You need to get yourself some OS X install disks. 10.3 probably the best choice...but 10.4 is doable as well (I run 10.4 on my G3 iMacs). Sure 10.4 is expensive...that's why 10.3 is a better choice (cost & performance).

Once you have the hardware...having the proper software is what really makes or breaks the computing experience. In fact sometimes having the proper software is more important. Kind of like having an automobile...but no gasoline!

- Nick
And I'd get install disks where?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
And I'd get install disks where?
HELLO...e-Bay.

Or if you're lucky Craig's List.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

Quote:
HELLO...e-Bay.

Or if you're lucky Craig's List.

- Nick
Ebay? I've looked at it, but to be honest I don't have the slightest idea how it works.... You need PayPal or a Credit card or something don't you?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
.... You need PayPal or a Credit card or something don't you?
Not necessarily. It helps to have a Paypal account...but some sellers will accept payment with money orders, checks, etc....but then:

- the transaction takes a lot longer
- the seller won't ship until your check clears
- and there's always the risk that you send payment to a seller, and they don't ship you anything

Sounds like you need to learn a lot more about e-Bay. For someone who says they want to buy/sell used computers...not knowing about how e-Bay works or not having an e-Bay account...is a BIG disadvantage.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

Quote:
Not necessarily. It helps to have a Paypal account...but some sellers will accept payment with money orders, checks, etc....but then:

- the transaction takes a lot longer
- the seller won't ship until your check clears
- and there's always the risk that you send payment to a seller, and they don't ship you anything

Sounds like you need to learn a lot more about e-Bay. For someone who says they want to buy/sell used computers...not knowing about how e-Bay works or not having an e-Bay account...is a BIG disadvantage.

- Nick
So does not having a car, not being able to sell anything, Not having an ebay account.... -_- I'm gonna go strap it to my bicycle and go door-to-door asking people if they wanna buy it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
So does not having a car, not being able to sell anything, Not having an ebay account.... -_- I'm gonna go strap it to my bicycle and go door-to-door asking people if they wanna buy it.
"A man's got to know his limitations."

...Dirty Harry

QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

Yup. Anyway back on topic does anybody know if I can install Linux on here? Hmmm?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

You can get that machine all messed up if you install Linux...so be carefully. You have to create a partition for Linux that Linux must format. If you remove the Mac OS you lose the firmware and putting it back is an issue. You have to use a PPC version of Linux not a windows one. We have not told you yet about installing OSX as the firmware must be updated to boot rom 4.19 before you can install OSX. If you want Classic you have to start with OS9.2.2. do the firmware update then install OSX up to 10.3.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Parallels destroyed my Windows XP partition! | Boot camp issue »