New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

OS 10.4.11 and before useage

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

omegaman41658

omegaman41658 is an unknown at this point

I have an Intel Core Duo 10.4.11 that seems o be becoming obsolete by all browsers, websites and more. Is it just me? It isn't that outdated of an OS for Pete's sake. Help anyone. 2 GHz 512 MB 667 MHz RAM and am NOT a power user. By no means.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman41658 View Post
I have an Intel Core Duo 10.4.11 that seems o be becoming obsolete by all browsers, websites and more. Is it just me? It isn't that outdated of an OS for Pete's sake. Help anyone. 2 GHz 512 MB 667 MHz RAM and am NOT a power user. By no means.

Thanks.
While OS 10.4 isn't terribly old...it is two major OS versions behind the latest Mac OS 10.6. As you probably know...things in the technology & computer world move very very quickly...so a 3-4 year-old OS is aging a bit. I have a number of computers running OS 10.4.11...and I don't run into too many websites that I can't visit or work properly. I also only use Safari.

Since you have an Intel based Macintosh...why not upgrade to Mac OS 10.5 ($100+)...or 10.6 for $29 bucks. Assuming you don't have any applications that won't run under 10.5 or 10.6.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

I would upgrade your RAM too. 512k is pretty skinny - you should consider 2 GB minimum and RAM prices (from 3d party vendors) are pretty inexpensive. Your RAM may be more of a practical limitation than using your OS, ultimately. I also have a Core Duo iMac that still hums along great with only 2 GB of RAM and once I bought the Snow Leopard upgrade, it keeps up with the Joneses just fine! $29 is amazingly cheap for such an upgrade.

If there are specific problems you're having let us know, but your post seemed a bit more of a rant than a specific question...

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Of course Tiger is obsolete and is no longer supported by Apple updates. As Sammy advises, get with Snow Leopard after maxing out the memory a little.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

As much as I personally don't like Firefox, the most current version is supported for Tiger so you may want to take a look at that. See here. Also, according to the Opera KB, Opera 10 (it doesn't get more specific than that though) will work in Tiger. That's two modern browsers right there.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
omegaman41658

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
While OS 10.4 isn't terribly old...it is two major OS versions behind the latest Mac OS 10.6. As you probably know...things in the technology & computer world move very very quickly...so a 3-4 year-old OS is aging a bit. I have a number of computers running OS 10.4.11...and I don't run into too many websites that I can't visit or work properly. I also only use Safari.

Since you have an Intel based Macintosh...why not upgrade to Mac OS 10.5 ($100+)...or 10.6 for $29 bucks. Assuming you don't have any applications that won't run under 10.5 or 10.6.

HTH,

- Nick
Where can I do that for 29 bucks? Can you point the url to me please?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Where can I do that for 29 bucks? Can you point the url to me please?
Ahh you are just too FUNNY...what rock have you been living under!

Just go to your local Apple Store...or Apple.com!!!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...co=MTc1MTEzNjY

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope we ain't been trolled..again!
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

lol probably so ... either way, just shows what a nice bunch of folks we are ...

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
omegaman41658

When you upgrade can you select to maintain all of the files and settings?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Yes just pop in the SL disc and ran the installer. Be aware not all programs that run on Tiger will on SL.
QUOTE Thanks
omegaman41658

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Yes just pop in the SL disc and ran the installer. Be aware not all programs that run on Tiger will on SL.
What is SL ? Installer Disc? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

SL = OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.
Installer disc = the disc that you install SL from.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
omegaman41658

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Do I need to copy docs, pics from iphoto, and music from iTunes first?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Do I need to copy docs, pics from iphoto, and music from iTunes first?
Just get the Snow Leopard disk (OS 10.6) from Apple for $29...insert it into your computer...and follow the on screen prompts!!! It's VERY VERY VERY simple!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook running vista 32 bit - no audio | Bootcamp w/ WinXP display & brightness problem »