Thread: Formatting NTFS

Formatting NTFS
    Greetings:

I have a 2 TB GRaid Hard drive that I just bought that I want to separate with Mac of 800gigs and NTFS of 1.2 TB. I can't do the NTFS through mac so I just did it in FAT32 and then tried to go to format the NTFS through the bootcamp of windows and it does not recognize it. How do I get my Fat32 side to format to NTFS? I looked up online but it doesn't seem to be recognizing it.

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    What did you use to format the 800 GB to FAT-32? Because if you used Disk Utility and didn't watch what you were doing, you may have formatted the FAT-32 partition as GUID. The GUID scheme will create a 200 MB EFI partition on the drive in addition to the 800 GB FAT-32 one. That makes the second partition invisible to Windows. It will only see the 200 MB one.

If that's what you did, post back and I'll direct you to a link which will show you how to fix it.

and nifskie
    Snap,

Looks like that is what I did............Thanks for your help.

Ok I'm at a stand still. I found an area that says how to use disk something or other and clean. Well, the problem I am having is that it is not showing up as a drive. When I right click computer I can click manage and see it as Disk 2. But it will not let me do anything with it. It is not showing a letter drive or anything. Not sure what to do at this point. Please advise.

Ok I've moved a little further now......I selected disk 0 and it shows partition 1 2 and 3 partition 1 being my 200MB one. I'm afraid to hit clean as it might clean the whole thing and I tried hitting clean partition 1 and that didn't work. Please advise how to make sure that I don't wipe my whole windows out.

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Been busy.

Go ahead and use the "diskpart" utility from a command prompt in Windows to clean the drive. Clean everything. Don't worry, it won't allow you to accidentally delete your Windows partition as long as the system is up and running.

After the drive is cleaned, you will be unable to format it again until you partition it once more. Use the disk manager admin utility (from Windows) to partition the drive into two partitions. Do not format the 800 GB partition, leave it unformatted. Format the 1.2 TB partition to NTFS. After it finishes, boot back to OS X. Leave the drive attached.

Open Disk Utility from Snow Leopard. You're now going to format that unformatted partition to FAT-32 the correct way:

When you select to format it as MS DOS... look for the "options" setting at the bottom. Select the scheme as Master Boot Record. MBR. Do not use GUID or we'll be right back where we started.

Post back if you need any additional help or PM me.

Thread Information