New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Question about Mac Boot Camp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

carlynn

carlynn is on a distinguished road

I have a Mac and would like to put windows 7 on it with Parallels.

I only have an 80 gb hardrive on my Mac and want to know if anyone knows if I can use an external harddrive to put my windows on or do I have to put it on the same hardrive as my Leopard.

Just thought I would not run short of space if I could put it on an external drive.

Would appreciate any answers if anyone knows if this can be done with success.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Well it does depend on your model and operating system, but with only an 80GB HDD sounds very much like you do not have an Intel machine running OS X.5 or X.6. Always helps if you provide this essential information.
QUOTE Thanks
carlynn

carlynn is on a distinguished road

I have a Mac and would like to put windows 7 on it with Parallels.

I only have an 80 gb hardrive on my Mac and want to know if anyone knows if I can use an external harddrive to put my windows on or do I have to put it on the same hardrive as my Leopard.

Just thought I would not run short of space if I could put it on an external drive.

I am using a Mac Mini with 1.83 , 2 GB of Ram and yes it is an Intel I know that for sure, and Snow Leopard.

Would appreciate any answers if anyone knows if this can be done with success.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Note: Merged crossposts and moved to appropriate forum.

Edit: And no, windows won't boot from an external drive. You can thank MS.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

With Parallels, not bootcamp - you can put a virtual disk on an external drive and run windows from there - thus saving space on your internal drive. I have done this for windows and linux.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Booting Unbuntu from WD external | speed wrt to reading from ext3 partitions »