New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Help Partition with Vista

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Skorpius

Skorpius is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone, I'm havin' a huge issue here... I've discussed with people about the whole Vista Torrent file using my own serial key, I bought my old laptop in Japan when I was in the Navy and it's been a while since I lost my disc. I am having trouble with the ntfs drives. I can get to the point where I put in my serial number and it goes through, but when it asks me which partition to install it on, and I choose bootcamp it tells me I can't install ntfs on this partition, but I know you can. I also have ntfs-3g (freebie) installed after doing research and it still won't work. I am lost on what I need to do. I have a Macbook Pro 10.6.4 so I'm sure it has Snow Leopard which is supposed to support Vista...
if anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful...
thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You're trying to get an illegal download of Vista (torrent download) to work which it probably is not going to. I realize you stated that you have a legal key, but it doesn't matter because you can not trust a torrent download.

You can always call MS customer support and have them send you a new Vista DVD set without an activation key. They'll charge you a nominal fee for the media or maybe even send it free. Better than messing with torrents.
QUOTE Thanks
Skorpius

true, I didn't know that you could just call MS since everyone I ever talked to says to call the place I got the original from....
thanks for the help....
QUOTE Thanks
Skorpius

Ok, I have a copy of Vista and Partitioned my HD using NTFS-3G and when I install vista, it goes through the process just fine, after installation, it restarts as it's suppose to, but when it boots back up, it keeps trying to reinstall the disk. I don't understand. it is an old copy that I found in a box that I've kept with a bunch of old discs, I don't know if something may be wrong with the disk, or if it is user error....
QUOTE Thanks
Skorpius

I found one of my copies... doesn't quite work though, completes install and then tries to reinstall again....
any help....
accidentally double threaded...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Note: merged duplicate threads.

I would suggest opening up Disk Utility, delete the Win partition, rejoin it to the OS X partition and then use Bootcamp for installing Windows.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Skorpius

it actually worked... I had to format my partition with ntfs though... it wouldn't work any other way... but it does work... now ever since I installed vista on my partition, the sound doesn't work in vista but it works on Mac just fine...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You have inserted the OS X disc while in windows in order to install all the drivers?

And then opened up Bootcamp sitting in the system tray (in Windows) to check for updates?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

And, please don't cross post. You've already posted the sound problem in another forum and received answers.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« question about install | Formatting NTFS »