Help Partition with Vista
    Hey everyone, I'm havin' a huge issue here... I've discussed with people about the whole Vista Torrent file using my own serial key, I bought my old laptop in Japan when I was in the Navy and it's been a while since I lost my disc. I am having trouble with the ntfs drives. I can get to the point where I put in my serial number and it goes through, but when it asks me which partition to install it on, and I choose bootcamp it tells me I can't install ntfs on this partition, but I know you can. I also have ntfs-3g (freebie) installed after doing research and it still won't work. I am lost on what I need to do. I have a Macbook Pro 10.6.4 so I'm sure it has Snow Leopard which is supposed to support Vista...
    if anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful...
    thanks

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    You're trying to get an illegal download of Vista (torrent download) to work which it probably is not going to. I realize you stated that you have a legal key, but it doesn't matter because you can not trust a torrent download.

You can always call MS customer support and have them send you a new Vista DVD set without an activation key. They'll charge you a nominal fee for the media or maybe even send it free. Better than messing with torrents.

true, I didn't know that you could just call MS since everyone I ever talked to says to call the place I got the original from....
    thanks for the help....

need help with a partition
    Ok, I have a copy of Vista and Partitioned my HD using NTFS-3G and when I install vista, it goes through the process just fine, after installation, it restarts as it's suppose to, but when it boots back up, it keeps trying to reinstall the disk. I don't understand. it is an old copy that I found in a box that I've kept with a bunch of old discs, I don't know if something may be wrong with the disk, or if it is user error....

I found one of my copies... doesn't quite work though, completes install and then tries to reinstall again....
    any help....
    accidentally double threaded...

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Note: merged duplicate threads.

I would suggest opening up Disk Utility, delete the Win partition, rejoin it to the OS X partition and then use Bootcamp for installing Windows.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

it actually worked... I had to format my partition with ntfs though... it wouldn't work any other way... but it does work... now ever since I installed vista on my partition, the sound doesn't work in vista but it works on Mac just fine...

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    You have inserted the OS X disc while in windows in order to install all the drivers?

And then opened up Bootcamp sitting in the system tray (in Windows) to check for updates?
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    And, please don't cross post. You've already posted the sound problem in another forum and received answers.

Thread Information