New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

mac os 9.1

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

panda349

panda349 is on a distinguished road

i got an imac g3 from a friend of mine who got it from someone. my friend tried installing AOL onto it and couldn't. So i brought it home to see if i could install AOL onto it and i couldn't. There was no setup.exe icon showing where all the versions of AOL are and when i clicked on AOL 7.0 etc what was there looked like a blank piece of paper. So i googled a few things and printed out pages of things to do. Well one thing I can't do is rebuild the desktop. i looked on the computer and mac os 9.1 isnt on it the computer has mac os x 10.2.1 on it to rebuild i think you need 9.1 on it also i get a message about classic saying no volume in the folder or something like that. does anyone know where i can get a 9.1 disc for the mac?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I'm confused..you are trying to run a 'setup.exe' file on a Mac? Those executables only run Windows..not on the Mac..do you have the AOL software that's specific to a Mac? If so, what version of Mac OS does it require?

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda349 View Post
There was no setup.exe icon showing where all the versions of AOL are and when i clicked on AOL 7.0 etc
Mac's don't use ".exe" files. You need to find an AOL installer for a Mac.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Do a Google and you will find many requests for an AOL installer for Classic (OS 9). AOL and Netscape once upon a time were popular with Classic users, however AOL abandoned Netscape back in 2007/2008.

You may well have to update the firmware on the G3 iMac and install OS X.2 Jaguar.
QUOTE Thanks
panda349

my friend is on his way now to get a mac os 9 disc from someone its version from what i could see from the pic that was sent to me is 9.0.4 that's not a 9.1 disc is it? if i installed it on the imac g3 will the classic applications be on the computer? or is it a waste of time?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Why do you need AOL in the first place...its nothing but a spy. Anyway you need OS9.1
or 9.2. And you have to partition the drive ETC....
QUOTE Thanks
panda349

i have to use AOL cause thats what i use for my pc i have two more problems now. i got another imac from ebay and i dont know if theres a modem on it or not the seller isnt answering my questions. anyway on the mac from ebay where it shows network isnt that supposed to be a dark blue colour or something if theres a modem on the mac cause on the other imac network is dark blue and i can get onto AOL with dialup on that computer but i cant use my high speed on that mac for some reason should i get a router and connect the mac through that?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Yes you need a hub or router between the Mac and DSL or Cable. If its in OS9 you need to turn on Apple Talk. Still do not get why you need AOL...if you need dial up go to Fastermac.net
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mid 2010 macbook pro windows 7 bluetooth issue help plz- Unable to disable | Windows resume loader »