Thread: mac os 9.1

mac os 9.1
    i got an imac g3 from a friend of mine who got it from someone. my friend tried installing AOL onto it and couldn't. So i brought it home to see if i could install AOL onto it and i couldn't. There was no setup.exe icon showing where all the versions of AOL are and when i clicked on AOL 7.0 etc what was there looked like a blank piece of paper. So i googled a few things and printed out pages of things to do. Well one thing I can't do is rebuild the desktop. i looked on the computer and mac os 9.1 isnt on it the computer has mac os x 10.2.1 on it to rebuild i think you need 9.1 on it also i get a message about classic saying no volume in the folder or something like that. does anyone know where i can get a 9.1 disc for the mac?

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    I'm confused..you are trying to run a 'setup.exe' file on a Mac? Those executables only run Windows..not on the Mac..do you have the AOL software that's specific to a Mac? If so, what version of Mac OS does it require?

Regards

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by panda349 View Post
    There was no setup.exe icon showing where all the versions of AOL are and when i clicked on AOL 7.0 etc
    Mac's don't use ".exe" files. You need to find an AOL installer for a Mac.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    Do a Google and you will find many requests for an AOL installer for Classic (OS 9). AOL and Netscape once upon a time were popular with Classic users, however AOL abandoned Netscape back in 2007/2008.

You may well have to update the firmware on the G3 iMac and install OS X.2 Jaguar.

my friend is on his way now to get a mac os 9 disc from someone its version from what i could see from the pic that was sent to me is 9.0.4 that's not a 9.1 disc is it? if i installed it on the imac g3 will the classic applications be on the computer? or is it a waste of time?

Why do you need AOL in the first place...its nothing but a spy. Anyway you need OS9.1
    or 9.2. And you have to partition the drive ETC....

i have to use AOL cause thats what i use for my pc i have two more problems now. i got another imac from ebay and i dont know if theres a modem on it or not the seller isnt answering my questions. anyway on the mac from ebay where it shows network isnt that supposed to be a dark blue colour or something if theres a modem on the mac cause on the other imac network is dark blue and i can get onto AOL with dialup on that computer but i cant use my high speed on that mac for some reason should i get a router and connect the mac through that?

Yes you need a hub or router between the Mac and DSL or Cable. If its in OS9 you need to turn on Apple Talk. Still do not get why you need AOL...if you need dial up go to Fastermac.net

Thread Information