New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Bootcamp and XP SP2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jon.ritter

jon.ritter is on a distinguished road

So I've been struggling to get bootcamp up and running and I realized my windows disk is old enough to be SP1. Windows is installed and will boot, but won't do anything else. BT Mouse won't work keyboard will. My question is if I burn the SP2 update to a cd (or does it need DVD) can I install it that way when windows boots up?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

If you already have Windows XP SP1 installed, you can just install the update.

Download Windows XP Service Pack 2: XP SP2 (Full package)

Then when everything is up and running, download and install SP3.

I am not sure if burning it to a CD is legal, because it's supposed to be done from Windows Update itself. So I'll let the moderator decide that.
QUOTE Thanks
jon.ritter

That's what I tried but being service pack 1 nothing works including internet. I'm not sure how running to a disk would be illegal no different then a big box computer with no internet connection?
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Well then, go ahead and burn the update to a CD and install it on Windows XP. Then install the Boot Camp drivers from your Mac OS X install disc.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.ritter View Post
That's what I tried but being service pack 1 nothing works including internet. I'm not sure how running to a disk would be illegal no different then a big box computer with no internet connection?
You will need to uninstall the Win XP SP1 installation before you can do anything else. Boot back to OS X, open the Boot Camp Assistant, select create partition, select restore, wait for it to finish, and reboot the machine. Everything should be back to normal. Next...

Download XP SP3 from the MS site (you do not need SP2 as MS updates are all inclusive) and "slipstream" the update to your SP1 copy of Windows. You can slipstream using the free "autostreamer" program. Note: You will need a Windows machine to do the slipstreaming. Read the autostreamer instructions carefully and follow the steps.

After you get your Windows SP1 updated to SP3, burn it to a new CD and make sure the CD is bootable. Test it. Also, it's important to understand that you can not use an upgrade version - it has to be a full install version of XP.
QUOTE Thanks
jon.ritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You will need to uninstall the Win XP SP1 installation before you can do anything else. Boot back to OS X, open the Boot Camp Assistant, select create partition, select restore, wait for it to finish, and reboot the machine. Everything should be back to normal. Next...

Download XP SP3 from the MS site (you do not need SP2 as MS updates are all inclusive) and "slipstream" the update to your SP1 copy of Windows. You can slipstream using the free "autostreamer" program. Note: You will need a Windows machine to do the slipstreaming. Read the autostreamer instructions carefully and follow the steps.

After you get your Windows SP1 updated to SP3, burn it to a new CD and make sure the CD is bootable. Test it. Also, it's important to understand that you can not use an upgrade version - it has to be a full install version of XP.
Do I have to do it this way? I burned SP2 to a disk (prior to reading the SP3 suggestion) and everything looked like it was going to work great, then I got a error about not enough space, so I checked the disk space and the 32 gigs was open, only thing on there was XP so 3-4 gigs used. How do I get around that?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Your way will not work, trust me. That's why I gave you the proper procedure to follow in my reply. The Apple instructions are quite explicit about using SP1 and then trying to upgrade it to SP2.

If all the above is too much for you to do, just go to NewEgg and buy an OEM system builder's version of XP Home SP3 full install and use it instead. Of course that will set you back around $100 or more.

The other alternative instead of using Boot Camp, is to download the free VirtualBox VM software from Sun Microsystems and use it to install your Win XP SP1 as a virtual machine. Note, however, if you wish to play games, using a VM install of Windows will probably not be satisfactory and may not work at all for some games.
QUOTE Thanks
jon.ritter

Thank you, didn't mean to come off ad questioning just wanted to see if there was a simple way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Your way will not work, trust me. That's why I gave you the proper procedure to follow in my reply. The Apple instructions are quite explicit about using SP1 and then trying to upgrade it to SP2.

If all the above is too much for you to do, just go to NewEgg and buy an OEM system builder's version of XP Home SP3 full install and use it instead. Of course that will set you back around $100 or more.

The other alternative instead of using Boot Camp, is to download the free VirtualBox VM software from Sun Microsystems and use it to install your Win XP SP1 as a virtual machine. Note, however, if you wish to play games, using a VM install of Windows will probably not be satisfactory and may not work at all for some games.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« problem with install Leopard Graphics update | Buying Windows 7 »