New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows XP boot camp issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Human Flotsam

Human Flotsam is on a distinguished road

Hello.

Just got my new iMac i7 yesterday. Installed Windows XP (w/SP2) via Boot Camp. Seemed like everything worked. Once XP was up and running, put in the Snow Leopard disk to install the OS X drivers. Once again, seemed like everything went okay. Once done, that's when I noticed the problems. 1) None of my bluetooth devices work (although I saw the drivers get installed). Luckily I had a USB mouse to get me out. 2) Seems that the only options I have for screen resolution while in XP are ones that are 1.3 ratio, not the 1.78 ratio the iMac has. 3) Try as I might, I can never get an internet connection up and running. Works while in OS X, but Windows doesn't see any networks.

Thanks for any assistance.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

Have you installed and run Boot Camp 3.1? It's a windows executable downloaded from the Apple support site. Try that first; you might also try to reinstall the drivers from your SL install disk, and then report back.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Human Flotsam

Evening.

Well, I tried as you instructed. Thanks. Everything is up and running except for one thing. The display will still only give me 1.3-ratio options. Tried updating drivers (both WinXP and Boot Camp WinXP; desktop and notebook (per another person's suggestion)). Something else I might be missing?

Thanks again.

EDIT: Just tried to install Stalker: Call of Pripyat on Boot Camp XP. Game ran it's check and came back with this: "The hardware highlighted with red doesn't meet game's system requirements. Video Card: ~0MB (1920x1440)." My iMac has the ATI HD5750 with 1GB VRAM. Now I'm really lost.

Again, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pjhutch

pjhutch has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Run device manager (devmgmt.msc) to see what drivers have not been installed properly.
Also run dxdiag.exe to see status of your graphics card.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

You may need to install the ATI mobility drivers - the new iMacs think they have a desktop video adapter when what they really have is the laptop version. Search this forum for HD5750 and you'll find posts with the link to the mobility (laptop) versions of your drivers - that's what you need to install.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

SammySlim is right on! He needs the mobility drivers - same problem as many others have experienced. Download and install from ATI and that should fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
Human Flotsam

Hello again.

Ran devmgmt.msc. The audio and video drivers come up as bad. Also ran dxdiag.exe The video card just came up as some generic card. Tried searching the forums for HD5750. No luck. Maybe I don't know how to the search to work properly. Going to ATI, the website states they don't supply mobility drivers seeing as each company that makes laptops has a set a drivers they specifically use. The tell you to go the the laptop manufacturer website. Going to Apple.com, I can't find anything related to HD5750.

As much as I would like to play Dawn of War II, Stalker, Witcher, etc., I might just have to call this a failed experiment and delete my boot camp partition.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

Try this link: ATI Radeon Video Card Drivers for Windows XP, Vista & Windows 7

Have not tried it myself as I have an older Mac, but select by using the version of windows you are running, not the manufacturer. Then pick Radeon, then pick HD 5800 series and do the download. It's the 5850 that's in your machine, not the 5750.

Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Human Flotsam

Good evening.

Well, tried the link. Was a service that wanted me to pay $20 or $30 to analyze and get my out of date drivers corrected. Nope. Also tried a couple other places for drives. Stuff would install but whenever I checked the system, the video card was still coming up VGA device (or something like that).

I guess this is just a sign. Plus, with Logic Studio, Ableton, Spore, StarCraft 2, Photoshop and Illustrator calling me from my Mac HD, guess I have enough to keep me busy here.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Download ATI drivers from the AMD site here.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

Thanks for the link!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading to ATI 10.8 on Win 7 Boot Camp | Where is the boot camp control panel? »