New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

OS 8.5 install Press C while booting question mark and face

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

unckybob

unckybob is on a distinguished road

I got this G4 given to me and I'd really like to get it working and play with it. Someone else gave me an OS 8.5 green installation CD and I'm trying to install it the way it says to. I put it in the CD drive and started it while holding the "c" key down. It comes to a grey screen with a folder icon in the middle of it which blinks from a face to a question mark.

Could someone please help me? I'm totally new to this.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And it will not. G4's need OS 9.1 minimum to do an install. Here is a list of model and OS from Apple.

Mac OS 8 and 9 compatibility with Macintosh computers
QUOTE Thanks
unckybob

unckybob is on a distinguished road

My first response:

Whine. Pout.

On second thought:

Well that easily enough explained. Thanks for the link and your help. Since I have an AGP graphics G4 I guess I need to get a OS 9.0 or greater installation Disk. Anybody want to buy a OS 8.5 Installation Disk?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
gagie

gagie is on a distinguished road

Hi

I got given an old g3 imac that worked and had a couple of games my boy liked and then it won't start. It seems to virtually load everything then can not find a driver.
I am interested in your CD if you still have it and it would work on the older g3imac with the 24x tray loading cd.
Hope that made sense.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« boot camping win7(x86) networking... | Parallels destroyed my Windows XP partition! »