New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

windows on iMac G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mayflyTR

mayflyTR is on a distinguished road

I have an iMac G4 running 10.4 and I would like to run some windows software on it. The computer only has 256 mb of RAM and a 30Gb HD. what are my best options?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

What's the processor speed on your iMac G4?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mayflyTR

700mhz
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Forget about it. I could go through a long explanation why...but suffice it to say that it would cost way too much...and your processor speed (700mhz) is too slow to get the job done.

Your profile says you have a 13" MacBook Pro...why not setup this computer to run Windows...via Parallels, VMware Fusion, or bootcamp...instead of your G4 iMac?

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

The only way to do it on a G4 is to run VirtualPC - its excruciatingly slow and will drive you nuts with frustration. Sorry that's all there is.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
mayflyTR

ok thanks guys, i figured i might run into that...i already actually do run windows 7 via bootcamp on the mbp...i got the g4 for free via saving it from being trashed and a friend was wondering if he could have it to run windows on...oh and i would kinda be interested in hearing the explanation why, just curious...if you dont mind...thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayflyTR View Post
ok thanks guys, i figured i might run into that...i already actually do run windows 7 via bootcamp on the mbp...i got the g4 for free via saving it from being trashed and a friend was wondering if he could have it to run windows on...oh and i would kinda be interested in hearing the explanation why, just curious...if you dont mind...thanks again
Well the explanation is...you would be best running OS 10.5 "Leopard" on your iMac G4...then you could run Windows via bootcamp like you do on your MBP.

But...to run OS 10.5 you need a minimum of an 867mhz processor...and you need more ram. There is/are programs ("hacks") that can allow a Mac with a slower cpu than 867mhz to run 10.5. So to do this on your G4 iMac you would need:

- more ram (cost you like $50-$60 bucks)
- probably a bigger hard drive ($50 bucks)
- a legal version of Windows XP or better (at least $75 bucks)
- a legal version of Mac OS 10.5 ($100-$125 bucks)

All of this will cost you between $275-$310 bucks. BUT...after spending all this money to do this on your iMac G4...you're still going to be stuck with a SLOW 700mhz processor. So everything is going to run SLOW, SLOW, SLOW!

It's not impossible to try and run Windows on a 700mhz G4 iMac...but it's really not very practical.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Why will Windows not run on a Power PC? Because Windows and DOS are X86. A Power PC CPU is not an X86 CPU. Totally different architecture.

Only way to run an x86 OS on a Power PC is via an Emulator. Emulators are VERY SLOW. I have tried on a 1.8Ghz modded G4 and even Freecell acted like it was on some old Pentium 75!

With Intel Macs, you are running X86 hardware, so no emulation is needed.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

Boot Camp will only run on an Intel-based Mac. And VirtualPC is an emulator, which is why it's so s-l-o-w. Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammySlim View Post
Boot Camp will only run on an Intel-based Mac. And VirtualPC is an emulator, which is why it's so s-l-o-w. Cheers!
Great Point "SammySlim"! I was so focused on how to get OS 10.5 running on a 700mhz iMac G4 that I forgot about that!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
fLaMePr0oF

fLaMePr0oF is on a distinguished road

your right, please trash
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Um, this post is years old. The OP does not even visit here any longer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« trouble with Parallels 7 with Mountain Lion | External Monitor issue with Windows 7 (Boot Camp) »