New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

MS Word 'out of memory'

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RUSH4th

RUSH4th is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 MacBook newly switched from decades on PC

I use MS word extensively and often insert Excel objects, Jpegs and other images. My standard document is around 45 - 50 pages and circa 12.5MB as a .doc or 45MB when saved as PDF. My problem is that the MacBook (2010) when using MS Word keeps telling me it's running out of memory and I have to save the .doc as a .docx - reboot and reload and rename the docx to a doc. Then its ok.

I would like to solve this but I live in Dubai and the Mac retailers here are poor - hence I bought mine in the UK whilst on a business trip.

Is there a memory upgrade available for the MacBook? - if indeed that's the problem.

Is there a solution to MS Word running out of memory?

I don't have Bootcamp so my MS and Mac stuff all fires up together.

Tim
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

Are you running the Mac version of Word or are you using Fusion or Parallels to run Word for Windows? If the latter, you can adjust the RAM available to your virtual machine. And, let us know which version of Windows you are running - XP, Vista or Win7. How much RAM do you have in your MacBook? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
RUSH4th

Thanks for the reply - I'm using the MS software for Mac. and my tech details are below. Hope this helps.

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.40f2
Serial Number (system): W89143928QT
Hardware UUID: DB1D1BF3-044F-5930-A8DB-F795B4D6D82E
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

Not sure what the problem is - 2 GB should be plenty.
QUOTE Thanks
RUSH4th

Does any one know if you can password protect a single folder ?
I'm using MS 2008 on my MacBook and have some files in one particular folder that I don't want accessed by anyone else.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Don't know how to do that but you could always create an encrypted disk image with Disk Utility. See here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RUSH4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Don't know how to do that but you could always create an encrypted disk image with Disk Utility. See here.
Thanks you for the reply, looked into that but not what I'm trying for. I'm running MS widows on my Mac and have lots of folders, as usual, however some i need to password protect as their contents are private. Not to worry I'll keep looking.
Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Have you thought of TrueCrypt? It's another disk image encryption program but it's cross-platform so it will work in both OS X and Windows.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RUSH4th

sorted - use 'get-info' in finder on the folder u want to protect and then go to 'sharing & permissions' and change the access other users have. Then click 'lock file'.
Finally go to Apple System Preferences/Privacy and add in the files "NOT" to be searched.
It's not a total solutions as anyone using your sign-in can find them if they know where to look. If they don't Spotlight won't be able to see them.
For other account sign-in's the won't exist.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« lost hard drive on windows | Front USB ports not functioning. »