New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Upgrading Windows in Bootcamp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rob7389

Rob7389 is on a distinguished road

I know this has probably been discussed on countless occasions throughout these forums, but my situation has a little twist. Let me explain, and I hope somebody can help.

I got the download edition of Windows 7 home premium a while back, and then not so long ago it started telling me that it was an upgrade only version rather than the full version, despite having done a perfect fresh install several times. Anyway, suffice it to say i called MS support and they basically just logged in and activated my install, a one time only fix. Since then I have bought a 15" Macbook Pro (2.4Ghz Core i5) and want to install Windows 7 using bootcamp.

However, instead of buying a new copy of Windows 7, or alternatively having a ridiculous conversation witha MS support guy, I simply do a clean install and then do an upgrade before I activate (stupid I know, but hey). So what I need to do is install Windows 7 using bootcamp and then upgrade it from within Windows.

So what I want to know is whether first of all it is possible, secondly whether I will still have all the access a traditional boot camp install gives you to the OS X partition.

Any help would be much appreciated as I need to install Windows for some college work using MS Access and Excel amongst other things.

Thanks,
Rob
Twitter: @R0bNichols
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Try the instructions given at this web site. LINK

Many users have installed the Windows 7 upgrade "clean" using Boot Camp, myself included. Please note, however, that in keeping in the spirit of complying with the MS EULA regarding upgrades, that you should already own a licensed copy of an upgrade eligible Windows version. (XP or Vista)

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Rob7389

Rob7389 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I do own various copies of XP and Vista and various versions (home, ultimate etc.) so I'm sure that I have at least one which is eligible.

Thanks for the link,
Rob
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting classic running on G4 | old mac game »