New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

VM fusion or parallels for games.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HDXmike

HDXmike is on a distinguished road

I dont usually play PC games but thats because ive always had a really bad laptop, now i have a 2.66 ghz Macbook pro and i can do that now but a lot of games i want are PC only but apparently these programs get rd of that barrier , but ive read loads of online articles, my finding are inconclusive, which is really better for games ?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions in the future to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

How well either of those programs will work depends entirely on the game. If you try to run something like Crysis through ANY VM, you'll have an absolutely miserable experience, but then something like Sims might play completely fine..

These software have added 3D graphics support and that might be passable..but depending on your expectation and comparing it to what you get running these games natively on Windows, you might be disappointed..

Since you have get a copy of Windows to use with VMware Fusion or Parallels anyway, you might as well go the Boot Camp route to get Windows natively installed on your MBP and that way you can boot into either OS X or Windows depending on what you want to do..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, if your'e using Windows mainly for gaming, go with Bootcamp and then use VM Fusion (my choice) to run Windows on your Mac off the Bootcamp partition when you just need something like Access or IE.

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Running an OS emulation is already very taxing on the system itself, and I don't believe that trying to game with it is going to be a positive experience. Plus I don't think the higher end games would even launch since they disable 3D acceleration and stuff like that.

If you really want to game then you would need to Install Windows via bootcamp, or get an actual gaming rig.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Plus I don't think the higher end games would even launch since they disable 3D acceleration and stuff like that.
I don't think that's true anymore. I think both Fusion and Parallels support 3d graphics now.

QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

They both support 3D graphics but performance is nowhere near what it is when the computer is running Windows natively and has access to the graphics adapter directly rather than through the VM's "virtual" adapter. For gaming, you are best off running Windows under Boot Camp rather than a VM.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That's correct. Both Parallels and Fusion (recent updates) support 3D acceleration. How well a game performs though depends on the game and your machine specs. Running Windows natively from a Boot Camp partition is still probably the best way to run graphic intensive games.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new Mac mini sound problem in WindowsXP | where to buy windows 7 and which version »