New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Bootcamp: Not a single PC game works properly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

book5550

book5550 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I've heard great things of this bootcamp, I installed it with no problems, got the drivers up (3.1) and successfully got windows 7 running.

However, after installing a multitude of games that other people tought as very playable in bootcamp such as Call of Duty 4 and Bad company 2 I was disappointed to find that whatever I do, not a single game I install will start or start properly.

-Call of Duty 4 gives me ''direct X unrecoverable error''

-Bad Company 2(fully updated, non CD install) brings up a small white window which quickly disappears

-Counter Strike 1.6 starts into Software mode and lags while even browsing menus

-Portal shows the valve logo in a tiny window and then crashes

I'd rather not waste my time installing any more games if not even these run. So what do I do?

-I've got direct X 9 up
-Running a 70GB partitioned Windows 7 HD bootcamp
-I'm running a MacBook Pro 13 inch 2010 model
-Running bootcamp 3.1
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Bootcamp is an installer and partitioner. That is all it is. It's not an OS. Once Windows is installed Bootcamp also provides the drivers for Windows for your Mac hardware. After that there is no Bootcamp running. It's Native Windows running on your apple hardware.

Are you running a legal version of Windows? Which version did you install?
QUOTE Thanks
book5550

I'm running Fully Legal, Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit.
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

It sounds like either the games didn't install correctly, directx 11 isn't installed (Windows 7 uses 11 not 9, or you need to update your video drivers. The drivers can be done manually, because Bootcamp can't keep up with them honestly. I have updated mine countless times already. Look into which card you have, and then go to their website and update it.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
book5550

Downloaded Direct X 11
updated graphics card ( Nvida GeForce 330M)

Couter strike works now

Portal does not
neither bad company

Reinstalled COD4 and still nothing.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Should I run Windows 7 along with Snow Leopard on my MBP? | Windows 7 and ntfs-harddrives »