New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Anti Virus Software?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chrischap

chrischap is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, i finally managed to get Windows on my mac after a few weeks of stress.

I was wondering, can your mac get viruses on the OsX side of the hard drive if you have windows installed and are of course using the internet.

Much appreciated.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

OS X doesn't know/care that Windows is running on another partition..the same is true of Windows..and no there's no "sharing" that's going on..

When (not if) your Windows installation gets a virus, it'll be contained there since a virus meant for Windows cannot work on OS X and has no way of crossing that boundary..

Be vigilant with your anti-virus, spyware, malware software protection in Windows and enjoy not having to use any of that on OS X..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

And as a suggestion download Microsoft Security Essentials when on the 'net and using Windows. It will run AV, malware checks etc from within that partition.

Download from here:-

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
And as a suggestion download Microsoft Security Essentials when on the 'net and using Windows. It will run AV, malware checks etc from within that partition.

Download from here:-

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
I will second this it works and its free.
QUOTE Thanks
wysiwych

wysiwych is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
I will second this it works and its free.
Not only is it free and it works, but it actually works WELL. It's currently (to the best of my knowledge) among the best windows antivirus solutions available today.

Yay MS for making something that works!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischap View Post
Hey guys, i finally managed to get Windows on my mac after a few weeks of stress.

I was wondering, can your mac get viruses on the OsX side of the hard drive if you have windows installed and are of course using the internet.

Much appreciated.

Thanks.
Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Removing dualboot screen? | Expanding Windows Bootcamp Partition »