New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows 7 Graphics problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lordog

lordog is on a distinguished road

HI

I just bought a iMac and i installed windows 7 on the machine, this iMac is intel 2.66GHz with 4GB of ram. the graphic card is ATI radion HD 4850

When in windows 7 the video card keep on crashing, sometimes every few seconds. and it saids that the driver form the ATI family has crashed and successfully recovered.

I've tried downloading the latest bootcamp software, newest ATI driver. it's still happening. I hope someone can help me
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

Did you install the regular ATI driver for the 4850, or the Radeon Mobility 4850 driver. The iMac requires the Mobility driver as it uses the 4850 chipset used in laptops. Installing the Mobility series driver should fix the graphics issues.

Here is the 64 bit driver
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...b_win7-64.aspx

And the 32 bit
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...b_win7-32.aspx
QUOTE Thanks
lordog

i installed the regular ATI driver, i'll try the mobility one, see if it works. thanks

Seems to be working fine, i'll update more as i go
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Did you install the regular ATI driver for the 4850, or the Radeon Mobility 4850 driver. The iMac requires the Mobility driver as it uses the 4850 chipset used in laptops. Installing the Mobility series driver should fix the graphics issues.
I have to wonder why Apple hasn't officially addressed this by a patch or update to Boot Camp? I've seen you help several folks with this and I also have helped folks - all with the same problem, the wrong driver is installed.

Anyway, I wanted to say a heads up to you for discovering it. Good work.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I have to wonder why Apple hasn't officially addressed this by a patch or update to Boot Camp? I've seen you help several folks with this and I also have helped folks - all with the same problem, the wrong driver is installed.

Anyway, I wanted to say a heads up to you for discovering it. Good work.

Regards.
I drove myself crazy for several hours trying to get the drivers installed in Vista. I was having the same issue of he video driver crashing. Then I remembered someone saying that the iMac was just a laptop with a huge screen, so I decided to try the Mobility drivers and it was an instant fix. I agree that Apple should address it with an update to Bootcamp so the correct drivers get installed. But, until they do, I will keep sending people in the right direction to solve this problem.
QUOTE Thanks
lordog

Thank you guys, i got the problem fixed, i almost think that i should return it and get a PC instead
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trying to run a new printer on an old iMac | Parallels partition too small »