New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Bootcamp problems...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Azuken

Azuken is on a distinguished road

QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Nice picture !
Any specific question you like to ask ?

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Nomina-Kun ^_^

Nomina-Kun ^_^ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuken View Post
Take it to a Genius Bar. Ask them to Defrag the Drive. If they say they "cannot" Say there lying and have a copy of Disk Warrior on there netboot servers
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomina-Kun ^_^ View Post
Take it to a Genius Bar. Ask them to Defrag the Drive. If they say they "cannot" Say there lying and have a copy of Disk Warrior on there netboot servers
What?
QUOTE Thanks
Nomina-Kun ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
What?
There is a System File in the End Sector of the HD. Thats why BootCamp Cannot move it Because Mac OS X is using it and that is ware the file system is being shrinked. So in a end Result the Disc Needs Defragged to move all the Files to the front part of the Disc, Making an End result of those files being moved away from ware bootcamp if shrinking the partition. Basic Computer Science
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I think that your studies are leading you to be a little over zealous with your presumptions of what's going on, and to suggest that a member of this forum approach Apple genius bar with that sort of attitude is just way out there!
QUOTE Thanks
Nomina-Kun ^_^

Quote:
I think that your studies are leading you to be a little over zealous with your presumptions of what's going on, and to suggest that a member of this forum approach Apple genius bar with that sort of attitude is just way out there!
No im just telling him what to do. And ur Trying to start a Flame war. So let me try to justify wat i was trying to do. If they say you do not need to defrag a Mac, say you already know that the Apple store has a Mac Defrag Program on ur Netboot Sever. I used to Work as a Apple Genius
QUOTE Thanks
6string

By the way.... before you continue, a reinstall and starting over will fix it without a trip to Apple. The assumption by me obviously that the OP has a backup.
The aim is obviously to gain enough contiguous free space!
A clone of OS X back and forth will fix that
QUOTE Thanks
Nomina-Kun ^_^

Quote:
By the way.... before you continue, a reinstall and starting over will fix it without a trip to Apple. The assumption by me obviously that the OP has a backup.
The aim is obviously to gain enough contiguous free space!
A clone of OS X back and forth will fix that
But a Reinstall can take Hours. And might not fix the problem
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Not trying to start a flame war, but a clone wouldn't take too long, and has good chance (great chance) of fixing it. A trip backwards and forwards to Apple, with the appointment, can take hours, or days, and cost a pretty penny!
I just didn't want to see a member taking your advice, with that sort of approach.
We don't know for sure what the problem is, as that message has come up many times in different instances, but if it is to do with contiguous space, then a clone is a great starting point.
QUOTE Thanks
Nomina-Kun ^_^

Quote:
Not trying to start a flame war, but a clone wouldn't take too long, and has good chance (great chance) of fixing it. A trip backwards and forwards to Apple, with the appointment, can take hours, or days, and cost a pretty penny!
I just didn't want to see a member taking your advice, with that sort of approach.
We don't know for sure what the problem is, as that message has come up many times in different instances, but if it is to do with contiguous space, then a clone is a great starting point.
Its a File System Sector Error. I Do This stuff as an IT for Business Class Linux severs all the Time. So i know all about partitions and HD errors. And a Clone will not work. It Copies the Files EXACTLY as they were on the HD so if Said person did a Wipe and Restore Using the Disc image Clone. That file will STILL be at the Same Location on the HD and Bootcamp will still give that error.

Plus its a Software Fix. There is no hardware involved meaning its Free Also a Defrag will only take about 1-5 hours So Said Person can get it the Same Day

And To make sure we wont but heads. Im not trying to be mean
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Following 6String's advice is best. It takes about 30 minutes to an hour at most to erase and reinstall - assuming of course you have a clone backup or Time Machine backup. I've done this myself and my local Apple store is only 15 minutes from my home....

Making an appointment with an Apple Genius (especially around now with the new iPhone and iPad out) may take days and that assumes the user's machine is under warranty or has Apple care.

And if you're really into de-fragging your hard drive, you can purchase a copy of iDefrag 2 for $29.95 from here. Instant download.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Azuken

So, what should i do? Step by step instructions would be nice. Thanks guys.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuken View Post
So, what should i do? Step by step instructions would be nice. Thanks guys.
To start with, do you have a current time machine backup, or a clone made with either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper?
QUOTE Thanks
Azuken

Quote:
To start with, do you have a current time machine backup, or a clone made with either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper?
No, but I have all of my important files (Movies, Music, etc), backed up on an external hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp assistant Issues | updated XP drivers on a mac mine (2009) »