New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Partition failed with the error: MediaKit reports no such partition

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikeferrusca

mikeferrusca is on a distinguished road

Please Help! Mac OS X 10.6.1 intel Core 2 duo. Here is what I did initially. I used boot camp to install ubuntu, the latest version they have for a mac. I followed all the instructions to install it. for some reason, after installing it. it will only start up with ubuntu. than it would freeze and didn;t want to restart and than i was getting only gruber error: ....only. black screen with gruber error.

i reinstalled it with my mac installation dvd. and everything came back to normal, except for few things.

when i go to the disk utility, i see at least 3 partitions. boot camp, disk04, disk05, and the mac HD. i try to delete and erase these partitions so i can just use the mac HD and nothing. all i get is this: Partition failed with the error: MediaKit reports no such partition

all i want is to reformat everything. start brand new but it doesn;t let me. i can install it into my mac HD brand new. but the other partitions still exsist and i get errors if i try to erase them or alter them.

i used bootcamp to delete them and all i get is this : The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows.

can anyone help me please!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I don't know why folks insist on installing Linux Ubuntu using Boot Camp when it's so easy to do it with the free VirtualBox VM software. And no danger of overwriting your Mac boot sector with GRUB.

It looks like the Ubuntu install also created a Linux swap partition in addition and so now you have 4 partitions on the drive. MacIntosh HD, Boot Camp, Linux, and Linux Swap.

Try this: Boot the machine with your Snow Leopard DVD. Do not reinstall SL but select "Utilities" "Disk Utility" from the top menu. Select the drive on the left side (top selection which gives size). Now select the partition tab. Select each partition in turn (not your MacIntosh HD) starting with the last and press the minus button at the bottom. After they're deleted, grab the partition line of your MacIntosh HD and drag it until it fills the entire partition dialog. Press the apply tab.

That should get you back to one partition - the MacIntosh HD. Reboot.

If the above doesn't work, post back.

Also - Moving this thread to the proper forum.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
knux

knux is on a distinguished road

So basically OS X doesn't recognize file formats like ext3, ext4, etc., meaning it doesn't know how to modify its partition table when one of these partitions' sizes are changed without OS X's knowledge. It does however know how to use its own file formats, so just reformat each partition for HFS+. Then, delete them.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That's not necessary. Disk Utility can erase partitions formatted to another file system.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
jaygrayy

jaygrayy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
That's not necessary. Disk Utility can erase partitions formatted to another file system.

Regards.
too bad i was having the same problem and it worked.
QUOTE Thanks
toan987

toan987 is on a distinguished road

I deleted, just can't restore my partition.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Another Sound Question (Issue) Bootcamp | First time with bootcamp »