New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

New Mac user -- Need help choosing the right mac for windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lax1976

lax1976 is on a distinguished road

Hello all--

I have the 2.16 GHZ core 2 duo that I recently upgraded to 3 GB RAM ( MA609 ) that I understand can only address 3 GB RAM even though its maxed out to 4 GB RAM.
I was therefore contemplating buying a gently used MB133LLA ( 2.4 GHZ, 4 GB RAM ) to take advantage of 4GB RAM but it is an additional $300. Since I want to run windows on VMware should I save the $300 and stick to my original config with a 3GB unmatched RAM with the hope that windows XP will do fine on the MA609 or is it worth spending the extra $ and getting the MB133LLA and running 4GB matched pair. Any experiences on this config will be appreciated.

Please help.
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

I would stick to the original config, because when using VMWare, you have to section off the RAM you want Windows to use, and VMware won't be able to use all 3 GBs you have installed anyways. If you want to take full advantage of Windows on your Mac, use Bootcamp. I do on mine, am running Windows 7 x64 on a seperate partition, and it runs well using all 4 GBs of RAM available.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
lax1976

thanks. How do I configure VMWare to use the max possible RAM or for that matter how does one see how much RAM its currently using ?
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

XP can only use about 3 GB of RAM but it's nice to have more on your Mac because when you use VMWare or Parallels you are dividing your RAM and CPU but more RAM is not completely necessary depending on what you do. You have to get Windows 7 64-bit if you want to use more RAM.

I don't know what version of VMWare you have but if it's version 3 at the startup window you should see a settings button. Once you are in the settings window then go to your processors & RAM section.

Unless you are doing something really intensive in XP you don't need to give it more than one processor and no more than 1 GB RAM. That's all I give XP in VMWare and it runs fine. If you really are using Windows that intensively where you need more then you should boot natively into Windows using Boot Camp or get a faster computer with more RAM maximum. You really shouldn't give Windows too much resources because you still need enough left over for your Mac to run smoothly. Remember you are basically run two computers at the same time so both sides need enough to run well.
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax1976 View Post
thanks. How do I configure VMWare to use the max possible RAM or for that matter how does one see how much RAM its currently using ?
When you're creating a new virtual machine, there should be a settings pane, but it does have the option to choose the settings it recommends for the certain operating system you're going to be installing. I do agree with EndlessMac, if it's XP, 1 processor core is enough with 1GB of RAM. I would choose more isolated mode instead of more seamless as well, because you don't want anything getting into your Mac, say if you get a virus through Windows. That's what I do as a precaution. To see how much RAM VmWare is using, as well as any application for that matter, you have a few options. I use the istatpro widget in dashboard (it's free), but you can just use activity monitor in utilities as well.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
lax1976

guys ...thanks.. I did ugrade to 3GB RAM, gave VmVARE 1GB but still activity monitor shows me only 15 MB free. It also says 600MB inactive.

So should I worry about the 15 MB or is that not a stat thats important as opposed to the " inactive" stat.

Am I good or do I need that additional 1GB RAM in which case I will have to dish out another $300 and get a 4GB 2.4 Ghz config.

Please help and advise.
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Nah you should be fine, mine says the same to me. Yes it is a bit slow. but it's not to big a deal.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mouse | Os9 »