New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Any other Fusion users?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Storky1980

Storky1980 is on a distinguished road

O.K so i have been toying with the idea of putting Windows on my mac for a while, i don't need it for much, basically just checking some things for work are cross compatible. It's also nice to have a proper version of msn too.
That really is about it, no heavy usage.

So far it works fine but my question is....
Does anybody else find it glitchy/freezing up/being a general bit of a pain when switching from the fusion window to any running mac OSX apps?

Also it sent my MBP haywire when i had it in "unity" mode while watching a movie on VLC (OSX) and i stopped it to check an email.

I know the obvious issue may be not enough RAM and i think i propbably will upgrade that when i get home, but right now i am on the other side of the world. Does anybody know any quick fixes that could cut down on this a bit?
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

How much RAM do you have and how much have you allocated to OSX and Windows? And which version of Windows are you running - Vista requires more resources than either XP or Win7, for example. I have not had this issue and I am running Fusion on a 3-year old MacBook with 2 GB of RAM (allocated 1 GB to each of OSX and XP).
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Another question is when you setup the virtual machine, how many processors did you assign to it? If you assigned anything greater then 1, then you'll have problems. If you check the FAQs at VMWares site you'll find that they only recommend you setting a VM to use more then 1 core on a machine that has at least 4 real cores...

If you set it up to multiple cores, that could cause your freezing as for one thing the cores need to be in sync and both available for the VM to use it which won't leave time for the host OS which can cause serious performance issues. Honestly, even on my octo core mac pro I still have my VM set to single core.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

I have Fusion 3.0, but I keep it in isolated mode, because it can carry viruses over if you use seamless. When setting up, just use 1 processor core, if you use both, it will slow down OSX. For now, all depending on which version of Windows you're running, cut down the amount of RAM and graphics it has access to. When you get home, yes, upgrade the RAM, but also think about using Bootcamp, especially for watching movies, which you can use in OSX anyways.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I use Fusion and don't experience much of what you're seeing. As others have said, it depends on you setting.

How much RAM do you have and how much did you assign to Fusion? Also what version of Windows are you running in it?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What to put on my G4 MDD | How do i create more than 2 partitions on my mac? »