New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Uninstalling Bootcamp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jack C

Jack C is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro. 4GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Core-2-Duo

Hey,

I've been running Windows Vista via Bootcamp for a while now, and have noticed that it dramatically slowed down my MacBook's start up speed. As I've been using it less and less recently I was wondering if there'd be any benefit in uninstalling it, or whether it's best for it to just sit there.

I've no real need of it anymore after downloading CrossOver and there are a couple of Windows PCs in the house should I desperately require Windows.

I'm hoping, potentially naively, that uninstalling will speed my Mac partition back up slightly (If there was any slowing down in the first place, it could just be me being paranoid).

Thanks in advance,
Jack.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The Boot Camp partition including Vista can be removed easily. Just open the BC assistant from within Leopard or Snow Leopard, and select "create partition" then select restore. That will remove the BC partition and restore the space back to OS X. You can also read about how to do it from the BC assistant PDF help file.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
hollowpoint

hollowpoint is on a distinguished road

... but before I uninstall completely and instead of creating a new thread..quick question:

There isnt a way to just delete some of the partition ie. make the windows partition smaller without having to redo the whole bootcamp process?
QUOTE Thanks
Jack C

Jack C is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro. 4GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Core-2-Duo

Thanks, but I am aware of how to uninstall it.

I'm curious as to whether there is any benefit in uninstalling it?
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

A couple things, because I think there's a little confusion among a couple of the posters. First, chscag is talking about deleting a Boot Camp partition, not "uninstalling BootCamp." Boot Camp itself is part of OSX and can't be "uninstalled." When you delete a BC partition, you are removing the Windows installation on the hard drive and restoring it to a single, OSX partition. Windows, all the Windows programs and their data will be lost unless you backed it all up somewhere.

If all you want to do is make an existing Boot Camp partition smaller (or larger), you can use a program like CampTune: Paragon CampTune for Mac® OS X - Overview This will resize your Boot Camp partition nondestructively (although you should still back everything up first).

Hope that helps.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Earphone Not hear in Win7 on MBP | Burning Bootable disk of Windows. »