MacBook Pro , 2.4ghz, 200gb HD, 4GB RAM; PowerBook G4 12".
    Installing a new OS on my PowerMac G4
    I recently bought an PowerMac G4 Quicksilver. It didn't have a hard drive built in. Does anyone know if I can install Ubuntu on it without having OSX on the machine? Or do I still need OSX installed? I say that because my PowerMac doesn't have a DVD drive, just CD.
    I was also thinking about just transferring the OS from my MacBook Pro to the PowerMac with FireWire.
    MacBook Pro 2.4ghz, 4gb RAM, 200gb HD, mid 2008
    PowerBook G4 12"
    A Windows PC for everything else
    iPhone 5C in white

2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by derekblock View Post
    I was also thinking about just transferring the OS from my MacBook Pro to the PowerMac with FireWire.
    I'm not sure about your other questions...but "transferring" your OS from your MacBook Pro via Firewire is not a legal way of installing the OS on your G4 Powermac.

Also consider (depending on the OS on your MacBook Pro & the processor speed of the Powermac G4)...that the OS version on your MacBook Pro may not be compatible with the Powermac G4.

If you have:

- OS 10.6 on your MacBook Pro...then it 100% will not work on your Powermac G4
    - You need at least an 867mhz processor in your Powermac G4 to install OS 10.5.
    - If the Powermac G4 has less than an 867mhz processor...then the max OS you can install is OS 10.4.11.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s BTW...there were basically 4-5 Powermac G4 "Quicksilver" models...with processor speeds ranging from 733mhz to 933mhz. So unless you have the 876mhz cannot install OS 10.5...and would be limited to 10.4. So in this case...the OS from your MacBook Pro definitely wouldn't work.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    But you should be able to use a live Ubuntu disc to boot that PowerPC Mac, reformat the drive and get it running Linux just fine

Tiger install discs are going for silly money on the Internet - so that might not be economical
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

All these Linux installs are on DVD now. You would have to make a cd version from a download. Its not that hard to install a DVD drive....Or just hook one up to do the install. Thats a PPC Mac and you need the PPC version of the Linux flavor you want.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    You can still download many Linux distros and burn the ISO to a CD. Here's the link for the latest Ubuntu CD download.

Thread Information