New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

need Optima Desktape 5.6 for OS 8.6

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

raehendy

raehendy is on a distinguished road

I have a ton of old DAT tape archives which were created using Optima Desktape in the 90s and early 00s, and the only way I can access these are on a very old Mac that has a trial of this software.

The computer I have is running OS 8.6 and the version of the trial I have is Optima Desktape 5.6. I've tried downloading this newly from different sites but it doesn't seem to be on any of the sites anymore (404 error...).

Does anyone have this software or know where I can get it? I need to be able to install it on another machine so I can get all the archives onto more stable and usable media.
If anyone has any experience with this software, please let me know!

Thanks!
R
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

You should be able to use Lacie Silverlinings Pro 6.1. I use it in OS9 with a HP Surestore Optical drive.

Found this for OS9.
http://downloads.zdnet.com/abstract.aspx?docid=421939
QUOTE Thanks
raehendy

raehendy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for answering!

I checked that link earlier - its unfortunately gives a 404 error, as does every other link I've seen for that software... looks like whatever the link was disappeared when the company went out of business. Too bad.

Now, I have a question. I looked up the device you mentioned - you have one of the "jukeboxes", right? So does Silverlinings run the machine to just copy them all off? (I knew someone else must have run into this....)

One of the things I realized after I posted looking for this software is that I think I'm off on a red herring looking for Disktape. The tapes I've got are Fujifilm DG-90M. I assume that even if they were created with Disktape I should be able to copy them straight onto any computer as long as I have a DAT drive that will read them, right?

I have over 900 tapes to copy over, so I'm looking for any ideas.

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

The Dat Tapes should work in any Dat SCSI machine. Uless that Optima had somekind of different softwear..thay should all read and write the same. This Hp Surestore Ive got uses 2.6Gig optical disc. I use the Silverlinings as the driver. The difference would be they must be Mac formated and not from a PC. I used the Silverlinings to change the HP Optical drive to read and write Mac disc..it had be on a PC before I picked it up at a thrift store.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows XP Parallels keyboard | Installing a new OS on my PowerMac G4 »