New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

MacHalDriver failed to start - Boot Camp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sholdzy

sholdzy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 2GB

Hey guys,

I've installed VMWare 3.0 and have Windows XP up and running on my new MacBook Pro (10.6.3). Everything works pretty well, but I can't get my iSight to work. It says I have to install the Boot Camp drivers so I'm trying to do that, but after a few minutes of the installation I get the following error:

Service 'Mac HAL' (MacHalDriver) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

I am on the admin account so that should not be the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Carson

Portfolio: Carson Shold Design
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you are running Windows XP within a Fusion 3.0 VM, you don't need or want to install Boot Camp drivers. You should install the Fusion Guest Tools which will provide the necessary emulated drivers that Windows needs.

Unless you're running Windows XP from a Boot Camp partition, the Boot Camp drivers are not needed. That's probably why you're receiving that odd error.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
sholdzy

I already have that installed, but my iSight is not recognized. Any way around this?

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

About all I can think of is to re-do the VM, install the Guest Tools again and see if that works. I don't have Fusion 3 to experiment with but I know that the iSight shows up OK in Fusion 2 running XP Home. You might want to ask the knowledgeable folks who hang out in the Fusion Forums.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

My best suggestion is to reinstall the VM Ware Tools. If that doesn't work, try to reinstall the VM (or restore from a prior snapshot and try the tool install). The Fusion Forums are a good suggestion.
QUOTE Thanks
sholdzy

I reinstalled VMware Tools, but to no avail. When I go to connect the iSight, it still says "The Apple Built-In iSight device requires that you install Apple's Boot Camp driver disc in the virtual machine.
Definitely seems like I need them, chscag.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Still seems odd to me. As I said, I don't have Fusion 3.0, but I do know that the iSight works OK with Fusion 2.0. Unless they've made changes to the way Fusion supplies emulated drivers it should work. Anyway, I think it's time maybe to ask in the Fusion forums and see if one of their experts can figure out why you're getting that error.

Let us know.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fedora 12 with LXDE = Fast & Small | Virus on Windows Partition, unbootable.. »