New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Anybody try KDE on Snow Leopard yet?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

I used macports to get and install the KDE package and it wrecked my IMac. It didn't total it, but Perl would no longer work, as wouldn't Ruby. X11 would give weird symptoms when a Unix script started a GUI program.

After a long couple of hours of trying to get all the pointers back, I gave up and did a full SuperDuper restore. Fortunately, I had followed my custom of always making a full backup just before any major updates.

I really like some of the KDE apps and would like to run them but until I can get a tester Mac, I won't try again.

Just wondered if anybody on here has it running?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I tried compiling it a long time ago and while it compiled, most of the apps didn't run despite following the instructions perfectly. I'm really hoping the the KDE Mac team can create an installer that is similar to the one used for installing KDE apps on Windows.

I'm not sure why your OS X install was ruined. Did you follow the instructions perfectly? Now, to be fair, you could be right about MacPorts and KDE - I don't use Ruby, Perl or X11 so they may have been ruined.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

Actually, there were few instructions to follow. I just used the normal "sudo port install kde" as it said in the article(s). And after looking at the log, everything compiled and installed without error. However, all the forum posters had installed it on Leopard or previous versions. I expect the fact that I have Snow Leopard accounts for the mess.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Virtual PC on G5 with Leopard | Question for long time mac owners »