New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

do you need internet security (norton) for bootcamp windows?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nathan549

nathan549 is on a distinguished road

im just wondering if i have to install norton onto windows in bootcamp or don't i need internet security on boot camp??
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I wouldn't suggest installing Norton or McAfee to anyone.

But yes, if you are running Windows you need an A/V software.

Give MS Security Essentials a try. Low overhead and free.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
nathan549

is there something wrong with installing norton on it? i will try the one you mentioned thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

In my personal opinion and that of the vast majority of us that have been using computers for over 20 years, it is a bloat hog, it will slow down your computer and can cause various other maladies. Most of us quit using Norton around 10 years ago and have seen nit a single reason to go back there.

There are several very good free pieces of A/V software out there. See no reason to be giving them $70 a year.

QUOTE Thanks
nathan549

yeah thats true, it did slow down my older pc alot. thanks alot for your help
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Here's a link for you.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Avira is another good one. With Win7 though, a great many have tried and like MSE.

QUOTE Thanks
nathan549

thanks alot , your a big help haha
QUOTE Thanks
nathan549

i just tried to download it and it sad i have to validate my windows then said it couldnt cause its not a genuine windows, but i installed it from a genuine windows xp home edition disk. so what can i do ?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

You're going to have to activate your copy of Windows. If this copy has been installed on another computer previously, then you're going to have to pick up the phone and call the number it gave you. It is usually painless and only takes a few minutes if you do have a valid copy.

QUOTE Thanks
nathan549

ohh alright, yeah it has been installed on another 2 computers if im not mistaken. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Ahh that is why as you do require a new version to do an install and then activate. This is MS way of preventing multiple uses of a disc.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp and more | Switching off Mac with a Virtual Machine open »