New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Getting Windows 7 to talk to OS X Snow Leopard.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ronin67

ronin67 has a spectacular aura about

I've been trying to get my Laptop running Windows 7 to link and file share with my iMac running Snow leopard, with no success. Can someone explain the steps on how I can get my Windows laptop set up to share files with my iMac? Any help would be deeply appreciated.

May God Bless!

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
TEXAS

TEXAS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro 2.26 ghz intel core 2 ..memory 4gb ,500 gb hard drive ////running Windows 7,Iphone 3gs

im trying to work out the same thing ..i let you know what i find out ...
QUOTE Thanks
james_b

james_b is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: mbp

I use MacDrive to read my mac hard drive in Windows. It lets you read and copy over form your mac hard drive to your windows drive while in windows. Doesn't go the other way, unless i'm missing something.

Mediafour | MacDrive

Looking at MacDrive 8 you might be able to read and write.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Try Paragon NTFS version 8.0. It allows you to read write to HFS from Windows and also read write to NTFS from OS X. Goes both ways. It's $39.95 but you can download a trial version and test it out first.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
ronin67

Thanks for the input folks. I just want to set up where (while I'm in another room in the house with my Acer Laptop running Windows 7) I can set up remote file sharing (wireless) between my iMac (running Snow Leopard) and my Acer laptop. Do I still need the two recommended programs to do this? Sorry if I didn't explain it right (not much of a computer guru yet). Thanks for all your help and patience.

May God Bless!

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
ronin67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAS View Post
im trying to work out the same thing ..i let you know what i find out ...

Thank you. That would be deeply appreciated.

Take Care!

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

No, if all you're trying to do is setup file sharing via your home network, you do not need either one of those programs. (Although it would be nice to keep one around just in case.) File systems are transparent to the network.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
pjhutch

pjhutch has a little shameless behaviour in the past

To share files over the network between Windows and Mac OS is to use SMB (or CIFS) sharing which is common between Linux, Mac OS and Windows.

SMB or Server Message Block is a network protocol to share folders and printers between PCs. Description about it is here: Server Message Block - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the MAC, you need to configure 'Windows Sharing' in the Sharing system preferences and set up accounts to allow users access to shared folders:
Networking Setup: MacOS X
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Disk error while installing window on a mac | Win7 on MBP touchpad is not working. »