Question for long time mac owners
    Hi i am thinking of purchasing a mac because i am going to be a student soon and according my older sister who has had a mac for a few years i would be better of with a mac than a gaming PC. So i was wondering if i run a mac on a windows operating system will it have the same gaming capabilities as a PC?

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Actually, I think you mean run a Windows OS on a Mac. And, I think the answer is yes. Although I don't do it, I've seen this question answered in the affirmative by others.

It will if you install Windows on it via Boot Camp. Please see the stickies at the top of the forum. That will allow you to boot into Windows and run it as a Windows machine. it will have the same gaming capability as a Windows PC with the same hardware.

If you are into gaming, then you can run bootcamp and install Windows to run natively on the Mac.

However, you are limited to what Apple has to offer with their machines. You don't have many video card choices like when you custom spec and build your own machine.

If I was seriously into gaming, this would be a huge problem for me. It's much easier to tweak and get maximum performance from a custom built PC than any mac. Most gamers want every ounce of performance from their systems.
    iPhone 3g 8gb Black
    MacBook 2.1ghz
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.26ghz
    PowerBook G4 15" 1.6ghz

Specs:
    Late 2008 MBP
    Quote Originally Posted by dL_EVO View Post
    If you are into gaming, then you can run bootcamp and install Windows to run natively on the Mac.

However, you are limited to what Apple has to offer with their machines. You don't have many video card choices like when you custom spec and build your own machine.

If I was seriously into gaming, this would be a huge problem for me. It's much easier to tweak and get maximum performance from a custom built PC than any mac. Most gamers want every ounce of performance from their systems.
    I think you just pointed out the critical item any gamer needs to be aware of.

While I can run windows games on my macbook pro, it is only because it has a fairly high end video card in it... my plain jane macbook will not run games worth a flip due to its rather pathetic video card.

Moreover, when you get a mac you generally don't have any way of upping the video card that it comes with... I think if I were a rabid gamer I would stick with a PC... custom if it were a desktop or maybe alienware for a laptop.

Specs:
    MBP 2.53GHz Intel
    If you want to play games stick with a PC, being able to upgrade the video card is great and saves so much money.
    MBP 2.53GHz Intel
    HP dv6000
    Alienware M17
    Custom-built gaming rig with ATi HD5850, 6GB DRR3 and AMD Phenom II 3.2GHz

Thread Information