New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Question about Boot Camp Drivers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

I have installed Vista on my last Macbook, so I am totally familiar with Boot Camp and how to do it(just this time XP). So thing is... This Macbook has Snow Leopard and didn't come with the disks when I got it. However, I did get the original Leopard disk that came with the Macbook. Even though the instructions say I since I have 10.6, I need the 10.6 disks; would the original Leopard CD be good enough to take care of the drivers?

Edit: 10 hours and nothing on what seems to me like a fairly simple question? Im half tempted to run the 10.5 disk anyways and just manually update drivers. Apple isn't exactly specific, but it seems you only need the Snow Leopard disk for boot camp drivers under Windows 7. So I guess I'll go on and go with it; worst case scenario I've been wanting to step down from Snow Leopard anyways.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

I don't know the answer but very little harm can come of using the Leopard disc in Windows - worth a try I suppose. However, I'm not sure that the manual update will be all that simple; having said that, my guess is that for XP it should be fine. Good luck and let us know what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

Well, I did some research and found that you really only need the Leopard disk for Windows 7 installs. All was going well with the install, however the multi-user license key my aunt sent me was invalid. So I had to hard-reboot and delete the partition.

No big deal to keep using my desktop PC though. I just wish there was a way to check if a license is activated/valid before you install. lol

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeldar View Post

Edit: 10 hours and nothing on what seems to me like a fairly simple question?
Sometimes you need to be patient...FREE HELP sometimes takes time!

Start offering $$$ for help with your questions...and answers will come a lot faster!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeldar View Post
Well, I did some research and found that you really only need the Leopard disk for Windows 7 installs. All was going well with the install, however the multi-user license key my aunt sent me was invalid. So I had to hard-reboot and delete the partition.

No big deal to keep using my desktop PC though. I just wish there was a way to check if a license is activated/valid before you install. lol
The Leopard DVD does not have all the necessary drivers for Windows 7 as it only comes with Boot Camp 2.X. Windows 7 requires Boot Camp 3.0 and actually 3.1 for some newer hardware. Yes, you can install Windows 7 and use the Leopard disk for some drivers, but you may have problems.

BTW, multi-user keys for Windows are for corporate and special use. They can't be used as a single license key. As you found out, it wouldn't activate.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The Leopard DVD does not have all the necessary drivers for Windows 7 as it only comes with Boot Camp 2.X. Windows 7 requires Boot Camp 3.0 and actually 3.1 for some newer hardware. Yes, you can install Windows 7 and use the Leopard disk for some drivers, but you may have problems.

BTW, multi-user keys for Windows are for corporate and special use. They can't be used as a single license key. As you found out, it wouldn't activate.

Regards.
1- I was installing XP; I meant to say Snow Leopard in the post you quoted.
2- Yea, sorry. I am EXTREMELY impatient, as much as I hate to admit it.
3- I think the only reason it didn't activate was because I wasn't using the corporate disk the license belonged to; just a random, single license XP Pro CD with SP2 slipped into it. Next time, I'll get the corporate disk from my uncle and slip SP2 into it and it should do the job.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Go ahead and try the 10.5 bootcamp drivers then update as needed.
http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macoscomponents

Mine's a little different I have OS 10.5.8 and WinXP SP3 with BootCamp 3.0 with no problems.

do it.... do it.....

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CPU damage from Linux on Mac? | Windows XP Pro on MacBook Pro Problem »