New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

New MBP Intel HD GPU support in Windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JasonClint

JasonClint is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

It was mentioned to me yesterday that the Intel HD GPU included in the new MBP lineup (15" and above) is not supported by Windows and so when running Windows in Bootcamp mode the 330M GPU will be used exclusively, which therefore has a significant drain on battery life reducing it to the region of 1-2 hours per charge...

Does anyone know if this is the case or even better can anyone substantiate?

Many Thanks,

Jason
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Since the Intel HD GPU is new with the release of the MBP 15" and 17" models, we'll have to wait and see if Apple publishes an update to Boot Camp that would include drivers. The latest BC update is 3.1 which was recently released in order to provide drivers for Windows 7.

Note that the Intel i5 and i7 which includes the HD GPU on board is fully supported in Windows 7 as stated plainly by Intel: LINK so it's entirely up to Apple to provide drivers for their hardware.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
JasonClint

Thanks! I understand that Apple's mux is a hardware switch between the two cards dependant on the requirements of the application running, but I guess the question is really whether that mux can detect the applications in Windows as well as OSX...
QUOTE Thanks
JasonClint

Hopefully this is a sign of GPU power management supported by Windows in bootcamp mode...

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...anagement.html
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

The link you gave.... those were implemented with the Boot Camp 3.1 update that was released several months ago. It took Apple quite some time to improve upon the drivers and power management. And I expect it will be another long period of time before auto switching of the GPU in Windows is supported.

Assuming you have a new MBP 15" or 17" model.....

You can do some testing yourself to determine which GPU is being used when in Windows: Boot to Windows 7, (using Boot Camp not a VM) and open Control Panel, System, Hardware. Expand the tree and see what it says for graphics. If it calls out the Intel HD, that's great.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
JasonClint

It looks like my question has been answered officially...

New 15-Inch and 17-Inch MacBook Pro Restricted to Discrete Graphics in Windows - Mac Rumors
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Thanks for the link Jason. It's too bad that Windows defaults to the nVidia GPU rather than the on board Intel HD. I realize it's hardware dependent, but you would think that since the Intel CPU and chipset used in the MBP 15" and 17" models is identical to the ones used in some Windows notebooks, it would be supported. Also, from the info supplied by Intel, there's no reason why it can't be...

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

At least it defaults to the better graphics. If it defaulted to the integrated chip, then everyone would be complaining "gee this sucks because we only get integrated graphics" under windows. This is much better for gamers, although it does affect battery life. If they had to make a choice, at least they chose the higher performance option. That's my two cents.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I don't know..... My understanding is that the on board Intel HD GPU provides better high definition and clearer graphics - and uses the on board memory cache of the CPU. I'm not a gamer and I currently have no desire to purchase a new MBP to test the difference.

I would like to see some stats on speed and rating. Should be some comparison information somewhere. I just haven't seen anything official yet, have you? Maybe PC Mag or PC World?

I'm sure MacWorld will cover the new machines in their May issue, at least I hope so.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

I haven't looked for it actually, for the same reasons as you. However, my general view is that the discrete NVidia cards will provide better graphics than the integrated chips - that has been the case historically, certainly. Not sure Intel really upped the ante this time but I am sure somone on the forum knows the answer. Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
metatech

metatech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonClint View Post
Hi there,

It was mentioned to me yesterday that the Intel HD GPU included in the new MBP lineup (15" and above) is not supported by Windows
Hi,

The Intel integrated GPU on Core i3/5/7 can normally be enabled in BIOS mode with the following line in grub.cfg :
setpci -d 8086:0044 54.b=0b
You may need to customize to your CPU PCI ID, which can be obtained with "lspci"

metatech
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Unfortunately, Mac computers do not use a BIOS.
QUOTE Thanks
metatech

They do not have a BIOS as on PCs (with menu options etc) but they they have a BIOS emulation mode, so that Windows can be run.
The Mac is either started in "BIOS" mode or in "EFI" mode.
In (U)EFI mode the Intel GPU is enabled, but in BIOS mode the Intel GPU is disabled.
The command mentioned allows to enable the Intel GPU in BIOS mode.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

That's all well and good except the command you posted is for Linux, not Mac OS X. There is no "grub.cfg" file in OS X since neither OS X nor Windows uses the Grub boot loader.
QUOTE Thanks
metatech

Indeed you would normally need a Linux partition with "grub" on it, but "grub24dos" should also work for a pure Windows partition :
SourceForge.net: grub24dos
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« problems with windows 7 on my Imac | A problem with bootcamp asst. install of Windows 7 »