New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Which OS works better with Bootcamp? Xp or 7?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kevinoh33

kevinoh33 is on a distinguished road

The title pretty much explains it all. I'm using it to play a few games here and there. Which OS do you suggest?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you already have a compatible legal copy of Window XP SP2 or 3, I would install that rather than Windows 7. However, if you looking to purchase a copy of Windows to use with Boot Camp, get Windows 7 Home Premium rather than XP.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
kevinoh33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If you already have a compatible legal copy of Window XP SP2 or 3, I would install that rather than Windows 7. However, if you looking to purchase a copy of Windows to use with Boot Camp, get Windows 7 Home Premium rather than XP.

Regards.
But I've heard that Windows Xp had fewer problems in Bootcamp than Windows 7.

I'm deciding on which Os to purchase: Windows xp Home or Windows 7 Home.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

If you can find a copy of XP at a decent price and that's what you wish to install, go ahead and do it. XP will certainly have less problems with drivers and older hardware.

Remember though, you must use a copy of XP that is compatible with Boot Camp. Read the Boot Camp install instructions first: LINK

Also note that Windows 7 Home Premium includes 2 DVDs: 32 bit and 64 bit versions. I'm currently using Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit and have had several pieces of older hardware that I could not find drivers for - but that Snow Leopard supported.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Just keep in mind that Boot Camp is not a 'program that runs Windows'. So, it's not about what's compatible with Boot Camp as much as what will run well on your hardware.

You didn't mention exactly which Mac you have, so it's hard to make a recommendation. In general, XP is a solid choice, although it is a bit long in the tooth at this point and eventually MS will drop support (most importantly, security updates) and 7 tends to be a bit more resilient with its UAC scheme.

Additionally, 7 will be able to offer you DX10+ capability if your hardware supports it. XP is limited to DX9. That's something to consider if you're playing newer games.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
kevinoh33

I bought a Windows 7 System Builders OEM 32bit version CD online. I currently have the most Recent MacBook Pro (Summer of 2009 model?) It has 4 gb memory and 250 hard drive space.
QUOTE Thanks
thomas998

thomas998 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Late 2008 MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Additionally, 7 will be able to offer you DX10+ capability if your hardware supports it. XP is limited to DX9. That's something to consider if you're playing newer games.
Kind of true... Microsofts official support is for Vista and above... But I was under the impression that someone with too much time on their hands had created code to allow directx 10 to run on XP.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas998 View Post
Kind of true... Microsofts official support is for Vista and above... But I was under the impression that someone with too much time on their hands had created code to allow directx 10 to run on XP.
Yep, here it is. LINK

Can't guaranty how well it works though....

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wits End: MBP and WinXP Wont boot when not at home | Missing HDD space after bootcamp erased the Windows partition!!! »