New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Ubuntu Sharing programs between users

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dazcaz

dazcaz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, 13" MBP, G5 PPC, G4 PPC G4 eMac

Is there a way to share programs between users on the same laptop?
It's running Ubuntu 9.10 with all the latest updates. The laptop is an ex Windows acer.

I have two users set up. One is the main account and the other is for mobile use in my motorhome.

I have a program that I would like to use on both the mobile and main accounts. I can't seem to find a way of doing this without installing it twice, and I'd rather not do this as it would take up drive space.

Is there a way of allowing a program to be run by two users without installing it twice?

I have asked on the Ubuntu forum but it instantly got buried by a deluge of other posts, and I have received no replies

TIA

Darren
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

If it's a proper DEB file, it should've added a menu entry for every user to use. If that didn't happen, once the Application is installed (on the main account) take a peek at the info on the menu entry and just manually add that to the other account..

No need to re-install the same app twice..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
dazcaz

dazcaz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, 13" MBP, G5 PPC, G4 PPC G4 eMac

Thanks.
I managed to sort it.
I made sure that the folder the program was stored in was shared and all the sub folders within it.
Then I just browsed my way into that folder using the terminal and called the program up.
I did have a prob with the software not being able to write a file, but I worked out that this was a permissions thing. Once this was sorted out all was OK.

Darren
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Even when I follow EVERYTHING to a 'T' | Help! Failure to recognize internal HD after installing Ubuntu 9.10 on external drive »