Even when I follow EVERYTHING to a 'T'
    Trying to install bootcamp on my iMac. I'm halfway done. I decided to partition my drive so that Windows uses 22 GB. According to the Bootcamp installation instructions that I printed out, this should be fine. I followed the directions EXACTLY as I was told, and now I'm having an issue installing the Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. I also cannot install the Mac drivers using the Snow Leopard disk. Basically, I can boot up in Windows now, but cannot install the things necessary to effectively and fully use the Mac hardware on the Windows side.

If you're confused I can elaborate in a further post but I really don't know what information you'd need. Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: My problem is that while the installation wizard is running, it eventually tells me I do not have the space to finish installing the Service Pack. It mentions that I need to free up 4MB of space on the drive. How I'm supposed to do this without screwing anything up is beyond me, but it shouldn't be saying I need extra space. I've partitioned the hard drive so that 22GB is dedicated to running Windows. Shouldn't that be more than enough?

Specs:
    MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
    Please elaborate. Does the installation not work because it won't open? Can you see the disk? Some specifics here would really help us help you better.
    "No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."

Quote Originally Posted by 86Apex View Post
    Please elaborate. Does the installation not work because it won't open? Can you see the disk? Some specifics here would really help us help you better.
    Ok, the disk is recognized, the installation wizard opens. What happens is, as it's checking for the "required space" to finish installing, it says I don't have enough...that I need 4 more MB of free space. That can't be right. All I can do at that point is click "ok" and the installation just cancels and closes.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    You have to start with SP2. The instructions should point that out. There was a way around that issue you are having but I can't remember now where I saw it. I do know Apple only officially supports Windows XP with SP2.

What Windows CD do you have? Factory? One that came with another computer?

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    You have to start with SP2. The instructions should point that out. There was a way around that issue you are having but I can't remember now where I saw it. I do know Apple only officially supports Windows XP with SP2.

What Windows CD do you have? Factory? One that came with another computer?
    In the directions it said I needed SP2 but did not specifically say it needed it in the same installation disk. I believe these disks came with another computer (they are my dad's) but more importantly, SP2 is a separate disk, which I'm 90% sure is the problem. I didn't think this was a problem until I started looking in this forum and reading the stickies...

When I read "requires Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or later" in the instructions, to me, it seems perfectly fine if SP2 is in a separate disk, to be installed later. My mistake...and sorry I sound really angry right now but...I'm just having a really bad night.

I'm pretty sure the issue is in fact that SP2 is not included in the same disk.

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    That is your issue I'm afraid:

from boot_camp_install-setup.pdf:
    "Important:
    You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2 is
    required for Windows XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows and
    do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2 or
    later."

If you have access to another Windows PC you can use a tool called nLite to slipstream the XP install disc you have with the SP2 service pack into one new bootable install disc.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Thread Information