New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Umount Macintosh HD Windows 7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hammertime

hammertime is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Finally managed to get Windows 7 installed on my Macbook Pro. However, it automatically mounts my Macintosh HD partition. Can this be remove/avoided?

Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The ability to read your MacIntosh HD is included along with the Boot Camp drivers that were installed. I don't know of a way to exclude that capability.

You can not write to your Mac HD without special software so it really does no harm to be able to read from it while Windows 7 is running.

However, you can copy files from your Mac HD to Windows 7 while Windows 7 is up and running. A nice feature.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

The OP may be asking a different question - the question may be that the machine boots into Mac OS rather than Windows. If that's the question, you can set your preferences in OSX (or Windows) to boot into one or the other by default. This is explained in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
hammertime

hammertime is on a distinguished road

Sorry. I should have been more clear.

The first reply was correct but thanks SammySlim

Yeah. I just don't want my Mac files open to Windows in any such way. I can't find a way to unmount the drive via Google .
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

rephrased - still drinking coffee: I don't believe there is a way to prevent the mounting of all partitions sitting on the same drive as the OS at boot.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Boybland

Boybland is on a distinguished road

I don't know how to do it in Windows 7, but in XP if you rename the following files the OSX partition will be invisible to XP.
system32/drivers/applehfs.sys
system32/drivers/applemnt.sys
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Both of those files likewise exist in Windows 7. Do as suggested and rename them to see what happens.

If the files are protected as most driver files are, Windows 7 will immediately re-create them. Not sure they are, but it won't hurt to try anyway. Let us know if it works.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
LouisvilleBill

LouisvilleBill is on a distinguished road

Renaming AppleHFS.sys and AppleMNT.sys worked just fine here. The files were not recreated.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« windows7 | Folder contents disappeared...Help! »