Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Mar 27, 2010
    Posts
    18
    Lightbulb Looking for a System Builder's OEM Windows XP
    So I'm beginning to think that the reason why the Bootcamp partition is not showing up in the Windows Setup is because the copy of Windows XP my friend gave me is not legit.

    So now I'm on Ebay looking for the cheapest price for a legit System's Builder's OEM Windows XP because I heard you can install that on my Macbook Pro. But the problem is, I'm really new to Ebay and I need help selecting a legit copy.

    Can you guys help me with that?

    I looked at these:

    MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION OEM WITH COA NEW - eBay (item 350331277231 end time Mar-28-10 11:03:01 PDT)

    MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION - NEW SEALED - eBay (item 110510689190 end time Mar-29-10 15:13:33 PDT)

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2182&CatId=672
    But I don't know if it's the System Builders OEM edition and if it's legit.

    I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me find a System Builder's OEM version of Windows XP.


    Thanks in advance

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2010
    Posts
    481
    Specs:
    Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Mar 27, 2010
    Posts
    18
    I was looking for something cheaper as in lower than $100

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2010
    Posts
    481
    Specs:
    Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
    Good luck This is Windows we're talking about here. It's overpriced. You could just give up on Boot Camp and reclaim all that space on your hard disk, then take the money you would have spent on Windows, and buy some Macintosh software!

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jun 24, 2009
    Location
    UK & Spain
    Posts
    27
    Specs:
    mbp2.2G core2D, 4g ddr2, 750g, 1TB external, 80g I-Pod,iPad2 16g
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinoh33 View Post
    So I'm beginning to think that the reason why the Bootcamp partition is not showing up in the Windows Setup is because the copy of Windows XP my friend gave me is not legit.

    So now I'm on Ebay looking for the cheapest price for a legit System's Builder's OEM Windows XP because I heard you can install that on my Macbook Pro. But the problem is, I'm really new to Ebay and I need help selecting a legit copy.

    Can you guys help me with that?

    I looked at these:

    MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION OEM WITH COA NEW - eBay (item 350331277231 end time Mar-28-10 11:03:01 PDT)

    MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION - NEW SEALED - eBay (item 110510689190 end time Mar-29-10 15:13:33 PDT)

    Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 OEM Version at TigerDirect.com
    But I don't know if it's the System Builders OEM edition and if it's legit.

    I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me find a System Builder's OEM version of Windows XP.


    Thanks in advance
    Don't panic all you need is any version of XP home (or pro) with a COA. I bid one from ebay that was ex Dell. It works fine on my MBP is registered and everything. Of course it is legal because These were off loaded by Dell as they have moved on to more recent versions of Windows. This link might help you:
    Windows XP Home Edition on eBay (end time 28-Mar-10 20:38:45 BST)

  6. #6

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    49,102
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    To the OP:

    Be careful buying from eBay. Only one of those versions looks to be a full OEM system builder's copy - and that's the first one you linked. The version advertised by Tiger may be an upgrade version which you can not use. It says OEM which normally means a full version but doesn't state so. Call Tiger and ask first.

    Stay away from branded versions. Dell, Sony, HP, etc. They may or may not work. Why take a chance?

    Regards.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Feb 12, 2008
    Posts
    937
    Brunel's advice is not accurate or correct. Boot Camp will not work unless the copy is either a full retail install version (most expensive) or an OEM System Builder's version. These are available from newegg.com, as indicated, but beware of what you get off eBay -- even if advertised as the correct item they may not be. Even with Paypal you may not wind up with much recourse. I agree with chscag and the other posters - be careful with eBay and it's probably worth spending a bit more to get what you know will work. Good luck

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Jun 24, 2009
    Location
    UK & Spain
    Posts
    27
    Specs:
    mbp2.2G core2D, 4g ddr2, 750g, 1TB external, 80g I-Pod,iPad2 16g
    Quote Originally Posted by SammySlim View Post
    Brunel's advice is not accurate or correct. Boot Camp will not work unless the copy is either a full retail install version (most expensive) or an OEM System Builder's version. These are available from newegg.com, as indicated, but beware of what you get off eBay -- even if advertised as the correct item they may not be. Even with Paypal you may not wind up with much recourse. I agree with chscag and the other posters - be careful with eBay and it's probably worth spending a bit more to get what you know will work. Good luck
    Dear SammySlim perhaps you didn't read my post properly. I have a full retail version with COA stickers, but the printed labels says that it came from Dell. The only difference between a system builders disc and, e.g. Dell, is that there is a file which includes Dell logo etc for startup and shutdown and those don't get used in a normal 'clean' windows installation. This 'Dell' disc is now working perfectly on my Mac. It worked fine in Bootcamp and now is equally fine in Parallels!
    As for ebay well check the sellers ratings first. I have never had a problem in that market place - either buying or selling.

    kevinoh just read the description and make your choice. I live in the UK but bought my disc from a German vendor and all was fine as I have said.

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Feb 12, 2008
    Posts
    937
    Thanks for clarifying - got it re the Dell version!

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Mar 27, 2010
    Posts
    18
    I'm thinking buying the one on Tigerdirect. But dang, why does a 10 year old OS have to be so expensive?

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2010
    Posts
    481
    Specs:
    Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
    Because it's MS. If you're paying full price, why not just get Windows Vista or 7? They are better in every way.

    Also, what is it you need Windows for? Boot Camp eats a lot of hard disk space and there are apparently some issues that can stem from using it.

  12. #12

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    49,102
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinoh33 View Post
    I'm thinking buying the one on Tigerdirect. But dang, why does a 10 year old OS have to be so expensive?
    Because XP is still very popular and the one operating system that will accept most any hardware and software without making a fuss. More copies of XP are in use world-wide than any other OS.

    I'm using Win 7 Home Premium from a BC partition on this machine and have had difficulties finding drivers for older hardware; hardware that is supported and working fine with XP.

    And since XP is no longer being distributed by MS, it's getting hard to find and that drives the price up. Same thing is happening to Leopard. Try to find a black retail copy of Leopard at a decent price!

    Regards.

  13. #13


    Member Since
    Mar 27, 2010
    Posts
    18
    What happens when my computer crashes for some reason and all the memory get erased? Can I not install Windows again with the same OEM disk? What if I call Microsoft?

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Jan 17, 2010
    Posts
    1,466
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinoh33 View Post
    What happens when my computer crashes for some reason and all the memory get erased? Can I not install Windows again with the same OEM disk? What if I call Microsoft?
    The System Builder's disk is similar to the OEM disk that comes with new Windows computers. What I mean is that as long as you don't change your hardware drastically then Windows should still let you reinstall itself. It just won't allow you to install Windows on a different computer or if you change your hardware too much then it will think you have a different computer. That's just one of the pains of having Windows. In that case you would have to call Microsoft and plead your situation.

  15. #15

    MYmacROX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2009
    Posts
    3,625
    Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Try this one. CompUSA.com | N09-02142 | MS Windows XP Home SP3 I read through the reviews and people claim it is a full version OS and you can install it on up to 10 machines that you own. I actually purchased one of these since they are increasingly difficult to find and under $100 is a good price!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. OEM Windows 7 Bootcamp
    By mcwn in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2015, 04:58 PM
  2. Using Windows 7 System Builder with Bootcamp?
    By bagism in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 05:28 PM
  3. May anyone install OEM builder Windows
    By sograteful in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-14-2010, 09:42 AM
  4. Windows XP SP3 OEM
    By ismaboof in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2009, 11:24 PM
  5. Windows XP OEM
    By ismaboof in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2008, 06:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •