New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

21" iMac Windows sometimes won't boot issue.


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Boybland

 
Member Since: Mar 02, 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 76
Boybland is on a distinguished road

Boybland is offline
I am looking after an environment of about 40 21" iMacs setup to dual boot either OSX or XP.
This works perfectly almost everytime on every machine except 3 or 4.
The problem machines work mostly but every now and then (perhaps 25% of the time) they will stall while trying to boot XP, either on the gray initial screen or with an error message just after the white blinking cursor.
Normally a power cycle fixes this.
I have tried everything right back to clearing the PRAM, wiping the HDD and reinstalling and configuring both OS partitions, but to no avail.
OSX works perfectly on the affected machines its only XP that has the issues.
Have tried a number or ways of the selecting the OS from holding down ALT to Bootpicker or Refit, always with the same inconsistent results and always only a problem on the same few machines.

Any ideas...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 40,943
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

chscag is offline
I don't have a solution for you but on my machine, dual booting between Snow Leopard and Windows 7, I'll get a bad boot to Windows 7 every once in awhile.
It corrects itself on a reboot. I have no idea what causes it. Gremlins ?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Boybland

 
Member Since: Mar 02, 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 76
Boybland is on a distinguished road

Boybland is offline
Yes its very odd and only affects approximately 10% of machines, the other 90% are very reliable in this regard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Ubuntu install via TDM? | Extended (Journaled) volume needed, no way to reformat »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Windows laptop input on iMac 27" Korruptor Apple Desktops 2 12-04-2009 01:25 PM
Dual Boot / Virtual Windows XP Machine on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard in 20 Steps applesanity Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 3 03-22-2009 12:38 PM
Need to Boot a Ghost CD cannot get windows to boot it? jeffausman Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 0 02-21-2009 10:09 PM
My iMac Running Windows XP Doesn't See USB Hub CessnaFlyer Switcher Hangout 2 01-10-2009 12:24 AM
Sound issues in Boot Camp to Windows on a new iMac Pewari Switcher Hangout 6 12-16-2007 05:00 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?