Specs:
    Macbook pro,2009,Yosemite, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram 320gb. Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.
    Unhappy windows 7 virus help
    Okay so my kids managed to get some sort of virus on their computer. I have an anti-virus in there, but somehow they over rode it. So when I start up the desktop is black with the exception of some anti-virus program that they want you to download. Nothing else. I am not able to access any of my anti-virus programs such as mcaffe or malwarebytes. So what do I do now to get rid of this thing? Thanks for your help.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Try booting to safe mode (F8 on boot) and then running malwarebytes. I don't think that you have a virus but it sounds like malware.

You can also try SuperAntispyware. Sometimes that one gets more than what Malwarebytes will get.

Specs:
    27" 5K iMac, 3.3GHz, 256GB Flash Storge, 16GB memory and OS X.11.3.
    What type of computer are they using, a PC or a Mac running Boot Camp?

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15"
    Quote Originally Posted by firesidedog View Post
    Okay so my kids managed to get some sort of virus on their computer. I have an anti-virus in there, but somehow they over rode it. So when I start up the desktop is black with the exception of some anti-virus program that they want you to download. Nothing else. I am not able to access any of my anti-virus programs such as mcaffe or malwarebytes. So what do I do now to get rid of this thing? Thanks for your help.
    Yeah, yeah... blame the kids!

Anyway, describe your symptoms; maybe post a screen shot or two. It might not be a virus but malware or rogue anti virus.
    Popups like to trick users into installing all sorts of crap by making it look like a legit error message. Before you punich the kids, legit sites like CNN are sometimes hit by those - just a heads up and FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFlake View Post
    Try booting to safe mode (F8 on boot) and then running malwarebytes. I don't think that you have a virus but it sounds like malware.
    +1. and when you can get back on it, uninstall mcafee, uninstall norton, etc, etc. get AVG free and make sure your malwarebytes is up to date. set them both to update in the middle of the night. i ran AVG and spambot search and destroy on windows xp for 6 years with great success. all the junk they pre-load those machines with is crap. they give you a month or two free, but people don't realize that after that, they need to pay for it.
    -27" iMac. Core 2 Duo, 1TB HD, 4GB Ram.
    -13" MacBook Pro. Core 2 Duo, 250GB HD, 4GB Ram.
    -iPhone 3GS 32GB.
    -AirPort Extreme.

Specs:
    Macbook pro,2009,Yosemite, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram 320gb. Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.
    Okay friends, problem resolved. I started in safe mode then ran malwarebytes and spybot. All is well. No really, it was my kids! i use my macbook pro. For them it is hands off. I am selfish that way.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Microsoft Security Essentials seems to work great and its free supposedly updates in the
    background along with Windows update without lugging the system down.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information