New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Can a Mac OSX Leopard using windows server?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kamigawa

kamigawa is on a distinguished road

Hello!
My boss is thinking about changing all the PC's in our office to mac's. And ofcourse since it was my idee he put me in charge of it...

Right now we are having a Windows Server 2008 that we use for our dusty old PC's, but our boss (who actually have a mac already...) can't acces our server

So my two main questions are as follow:
  1. Can he somehow connect to our server and be able to share our files.
  2. And if we do switch the PC's for mac's (which I do hope we will ), will we be able to keep the server as it is???

Other options are always welcome!
QUOTE Thanks
Boybland

Boybland is on a distinguished road

he needs to connect using smb unless you have the apple protocols installed and enabled on the server.
ie: in connect to server the address needs to be entered like
smb://server/share
Also unless you have full access for everybody he will need to enter a valid username/password for the share and may need to specify the domain in the username as well.
QUOTE Thanks
kamigawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boybland View Post
he needs to connect using smb unless you have the apple protocols installed and enabled on the server.
ie: in connect to server the address needs to be entered like
smb://server/share
Also unless you have full access for everybody he will need to enter a valid username/password for the share and may need to specify the domain in the username as well.
Alright. So by doing this we can keep the server as it is and just buy new mac's and it will work perfectly well?

Thanks alot!!!
QUOTE Thanks
kamigawa

Thanks alot! This is really great, appriciate it!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with upgrading Windows RC to 7 | parallel Destop, stop! »