New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows chime at startup...and no Windows!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PepLV

PepLV is on a distinguished road

I LOVE our new iMac but am having fits with trying to install Windows. I originally tried to install XP (without SP2.....I know, I know....) and encountered a host of problems. I bought an original XP disk w/ SP2 from EBay; seemed like there were no problems installing it except for a couple of glitches which required removing the XP install disk and reinserting it, but I got all the way through and was even able to install the Mac drivers. Then my iMac would NOT restart and wouldn't even turn on without me inserting the Mac installation disk. As soon as I restart (holding down the option key), it tries to boot into Windows and I hear the familiar chime (scary, since I deleted the Windows partition!) and I'm wondering if there isn't some leftover corrupted portion of XP from the original wrong installation. At this point, I don't care if I have Windows in this machine or not....I just want to be able to reboot without the **** chime and go right into the Mac home screen! Do you think I need to reinstall the Mac OS or is there any easier way? (Disk utility did not help, BTW.) Thanks in advance.....
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

I need to figure out exactly what you've done. Try rebooting your Mac and holding down the "Option" key. Are you able to boot into OS X that way?

If you can boot to OS X with the Option key, go into System Preferences, Startup Disk, and choose OS X as your startup.

Let us know.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
PepLV

PepLV is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I need to figure out exactly what you've done. Try rebooting your Mac and holding down the "Option" key. Are you able to boot into OS X that way?

If you can boot to OS X with the Option key, go into System Preferences, Startup Disk, and choose OS X as your startup.

Let us know.

Regards.
I can boot into the Mac OS if I hold the option key down BUT as soon as the system restarts, I hear the Windows chime. In System preferences, the Mac OS was already the chosen startup disk. Windows is not installed and there is no space partitioned for it; that's one reason this is so confounding.
Any ideas? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Graphics card problems with Bootcamp windows 7 | Install Windows program with Parallels 5 -- help? »