New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Problem connecting mac to external monitor in kubuntu!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Grayer

Grayer is on a distinguished road

Hi, I recently installed kubuntu on my macbook to test it out and I'm trying to connect the external monitor to my computer but it's not working properly. I have my mac connected to the tv with a minidp to hdmi adaptor, and an hdmi-hdmi cable. In mac OS it works fine, but in kubuntu for some reason it doesn't. I have attached an image of what the configuration looks like, and no matter what I do I can't get the full screen to get on my tv, it always has some part cut out...its not a graphic card problem because there are no lines or anything, the image is clear, just that it's not the full image...how am i supposed to configure this?
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snapshot1.jpg (73.3 KB, 4 views)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You may find someone here with the specific knowledge to help, but I'd suggest you also head to the Ubuntu/Kubuntu forums.

I haven't touched Linux since the first year after HDMI was introduced and at that time, there was no HDMI capability in any of the major versions I tried.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Grayer

Grayer is on a distinguished road

I tried posting there but they didn't really know how to solve the problem...one of them suggested to connect the macbook to the tv with VGA but I want to see if there's a solution before spending money on that.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

In the picture you have there, the only things I can suggest is #1, select the LG display (recognizing it is more than any Linux would do a few years ago), then adjust the resolution to the native resolution of the LG.

If it's cutting off the screen around all 4 edges at that resolution you've got an issue with overscan more than likely. You'll need to look for a way to turn it off, either on the computer or on the TV. Most TVs will not have an option to disable it, you'll have to browse the menus or pull out the owners manual. The other option is to select a resolution that leaves a black bar around all 4 sides of the screen.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can i install Linux on the Mac too, without boot-camp | USB Slot Problem in Windows 7 Boot camp on Macbook late 2009 »