New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Force Dual Boot Menu?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

I have Bootcamp set up with XP for games but since I use a non-Apple keyboard I can't use the "Hold the alt key at boot" to get the dual boot menu. I can get back and forth by using the Startup Disk menu in OSX and Dual Boot manager in XP but that is fairly cumbersome.

Anybody know of a way to force the dual boot menu to appear every time? I believe that I have seen a Mac that is set up that way in the store (200 miles away, alas). It would just sit at the screen with the picture of the two disk drives until the mouse was clicked or a key was pressed. So I think it is possible - I just haven't googled it up or found it in the System Preferences.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There is no option without a 3rd party app for the boot menu to show up on every boot.

The recommended app for this is rEFIt.

There are a lot of people that do not use Apple keyboards (I would bet most that use an external keyboard do not) that are able to get to the boot menu by pressing 'alt'.

You can also bring up the boot menu with the menu button on your Apple remote.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

Mac Specs: MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

Well, then I can stop looking in OSX.

I have a PC keyboard with two alt keys, but no amount of pressing of them (or the ctrl, F8 or any other) will bring up the menu. Too old I guess.

It would never have occurred to me that a remote would do it.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Try pressing the Option key after the chimes and keep held until the gear wheel shows up.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Try pressing the Option key after the chimes and keep held until the gear wheel shows up.
Yes, unlike on a Windows machine where you would just hit a key once to get into the BIOS or go to safe mode, etc.; you need to press the alt key and hold it down until the boot menu shows.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

I have held down the Alt, CTRL, Enter and most other control keys trying to find one that works, but no luck so far. Unfortunately, using a utility like doublecommand, while it allows building an Option key, the utility obviously doesn't get loaded until long after the boot process.

Also, my machine was delivered with the wireless keyboard, which I hate from an ergonomic standpoint. I have to have a tactile feedback keyboard or my typing goes back to two fingers. But the wireless Option/Alt key doesn't bring up the menu either. I assume that it is because bluetooth doesn't become active until the OS does.

I am out of keyboards - at least for this weekend. I will borrow a couple of different types next week and try them.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You're right about the wireless keyboard not working for these purposes. Wireless keyboards are not recognized early enough in the boot process to bring up the menu that you want.

I'm not sure why you are not getting that menu by pressing and holding the alt key. It has worked with every Windows keyboard I've tried as long as I remembered to press the key immediately after the startup chime.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I have held down the Alt, CTRL, Enter and most other control keys trying to find one that works, but no luck so far. Unfortunately, using a utility like doublecommand, while it allows building an Option key, the utility obviously doesn't get loaded until long after the boot process.
Strange that the Windows keyboard didn't work. The ALT key should have done the job.... Anyway, why not download and install "BootPicker". That will automatically display a dual boot menu each time. All you have to do is move the arrow and press enter to choose. BootPicker is free.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows 7 Upgrade option | windows 7, 32bit or 64bit »