New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Converting VMWare Fusion install of Windows to Parallels

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wslead

wslead is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I was just wondering, right now I am running Windows XP on my imac at home with VMWare Fusion. A friend of mine said that Parallels might run a bit smoother. I am happy with Fusion, I just wanted to see if I would have better results with Parallels. The problem that I have encountered is that I do not have any more legit installations of Windows XP left. Is there a way to convert my 40gz Windows XP files for Fusion to work in Parallels? I have found a few sites that allow you to convert from Parallels to Fusion, but not the other way.

Any thoughts from anyone... is this worth it??? I have 20" imac, 4gz RAM, 2.66 gz processor. I mainly use Fusion just for AutoCAD.

Cheers,
Ryan
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

VMWare has typically been ahead of Parallels when it comes to any sort of 3D.
Neither one of them are going to be great at it. Highly unlikely that you would find any significant improvement vs the hassle and expense involved in the purchase of another piece of VM software.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
VMWare has typically been ahead of Parallels when it comes to any sort of 3D.
Neither one of them are going to be great at it. Highly unlikely that you would find any significant improvement vs the hassle and expense involved in the purchase of another piece of VM software.
Agreed. If the performance is unacceptable, the next best solution is going to be Boot Camp, not switching over to another tool that essentially does the same thing and has the same weaknesses.

Also, make sure you've got Fusion 3.0 as 3D support is an order of magnitude better than older versions.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

I have not found any significant difference between the two, comparing the most current versions (Fusion 3 vs. Parallels 5). The differences are mainly stylistic in terms of the interface. Some claim slightly better 3D graphics performance on Parallels (ever so slightly) but to be honest, I don't notice any difference. You would be better served spending the $$ to upgrade Fusion to 3.0.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't know if you can still get the cheap upgrade price, just upgraded mine last night to 3.0 for $28.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Want Reckless Drivin 1.1 or earlier for Mac os 8.1 68k | Internet in Windows XP at mac »