New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

MacBook - Dual Booting Macbook with Windows 7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mesalline

Mesalline is on a distinguished road

Hey,
I'm looking for opinions on this before I go ahead and do it.
Firstly, has anyone dual booted there mac with windows?
Secondly, how did they find the process? Have you had any problems since?
Finally, what would you guys recommend? I'm going to get Windows 7, my friend gave me a legit copy through student alliance and it's got an inbuilt virtual PC so you can use XP too, so basically i will have 3 OS's on one machine. I'll copy and paste the specs i have at the moment, all though I am looking into buying more Ram off Apple when they dual boot it for me.

Processor: 2.1 GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory: 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I'm looking into getting 4GB of Ram so that it all runs nicely without a struggle. I am apprehensive about doing this though because I don't want to ruin my mac (hence why I'm letting Apple sort it out) But I really need this program for my Animation course called 3D Max, and unfortunately there isn't any other Mac alternative.

I will be looking to install the following programs on the windows side:
3D Max
Photoshop CS4
Maya (maybe, 2nd year if I need it.)

I'm going to use my Mac side as my personal side and my Windows side as my work side, as unfortunately we don't use Macs at Uni.

I'll also be wanting to play a few games on the Windows side, nothing drastic like WoW or Halo, just the likes of Rayman, my old Harry potter games, etc.

I really need some advice before I go ahead and do this. I don't want windows to bugger up my computer like XP did with my last one. I have a Windows 7 installation disc, my mac driver discs, and I'm going to back up all my stuff on an external harddrive first.
Comments and suggestions would be really appreciated.
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Why not run CS4 in OS X? Much nicer...
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

wmprice1240 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

Quote:
Firstly, has anyone dual booted there mac with windows?
Plenty of people on these forums have done this. I have my Mac Pro (specs in signature) dual booted with Windows 7.

Quote:
Secondly, how did they find the process? Have you had any problems since?
No issues. I use the Win7 partition only for games, but I have had no issues whatsoever.

Quote:
and I'm going to back up all my stuff on an external harddrive first.
Your already ahead of the game. Quite a few people start the process before determining a decent and reliable backup strategy. You seem to have thought things through and have a plan. It's not a complex process. There are plenty of guides, help sites etc to help you if you run into issues..especially these forums.

In sum....Lock and Load :-)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot Camp: Windows XP Install Stuck | drivers aren't loading under XP »