New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows - To OEM or not to OEM?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sakkuriru

Sakkuriru is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: '09 iMac - OSX Snow Leopard

Hey guys, I have a novice question. I'd like to get a copy of Windows to run in Boot Camp, but I really don't feel like spending $299 or more for Vista. I found an OEM copy of Vista Ultimate on Amazon for $99. Seems reasonable, but I know the disadvantages of the OEM copy.

Can I use the OEM copy on my iMac? Obviously I'm not going to be making hardware changes, and I don't need their support.

Any opinions?
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

You shouldn't - it will break some laws regarding the correct usage of an OEM licensed copy of Windows. In this case, like most things, you pay the price.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

Depends on what you mean by OEM - an "OEM System Builder" version is a perfectly good and legal choice. An OEM disk supplied by a computer manufacturer with its system, e.g., a Dell or HP branded disk, will not work with Boot Camp and is an EULA violation.

The System Builder OEM versions can be had much cheaper than the full retail versions, and are identical to them except that they can only be installed on one computer, ever. You need to be sure that whatever you buy is legal on the one hand, and an OEM System Builder version on the other hand. Also check out the OEMSB versions at newegg.com - that's where I got mine and they are reliable.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammySlim View Post
Depends on what you mean by OEM - an "OEM System Builder" version is a perfectly good and legal choice. An OEM disk supplied by a computer manufacturer with its system, e.g., a Dell or HP branded disk, will not work with Boot Camp and is an EULA violation.

The System Builder OEM versions can be had much cheaper than the full retail versions, and are identical to them except that they can only be installed on one computer, ever. You need to be sure that whatever you buy is legal on the one hand, and an OEM System Builder version on the other hand. Also check out the OEMSB versions at newegg.com - that's where I got mine and they are reliable.

Cheers
I have used an OEM for System Builders version on Boot Camp. As you said, it is a perfectly legitimate choice. Just keep in mind that you may not (at least according to the EULA) port that install to another machine. It is intended to be sold with a new machine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp: Windows XP | Is it possible to install this on my MacBook using bootcamp? »